Average cost of painting and decorating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello..

Had recent flooding in my flat do to my erm lovely upstairs neighbour and we have been told by our insurance company to get a few quotes from painter and decorators. Our flat is around 100 years old so has very high ceilings. We have been recommended to have our spare room (double bedroom size) bathroom, (quite small) and hall, (rather large), sorry haven't measured decorated. So the recent quote I got for everything includes the removal of lining paper, to have it relined, painting of walls twice and ceilings etc.. all of this came to around £650 for labour included.

Can anyone tell me in this is normal or do you reckon our insurance company will find this excessive? I have never had decorators in so I wouldnt know.

Would help keep my mind at peace if someone could let me know.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I take it you mean it should cost around £850? Well £650 appears to be a good quote then.

Thanks

You could also ask your insurance co if they have a panel of local decorators who you could ask for a quote, they shouldn't argue about one of them. Best to have the ceiling plaster examined for damage, you don't want it falling down later.

The insurance co will expect to pay for a proper job, not a cheap one, and as long as they think you have an honest claim, they won't quibble. they'll have enough experience to know if you are taking the micky.

Claims handling gives them their reputation. If you are treated fairly you will tell all your friends and neighbours what sort of company they are (equally if you are treated badly).

Sponsored Links
Yeah right.
My bet is they will pick the cheapest quote.

Growler said:
Yeah right.

That's easy. Lose the cheapest one and send them the three higher ones from the most reputable people.

If you offer them a quote from someone who does a sub-standard job, and they accept it, whose fault is it?

They dont care if you get a sub- standard job. That is why they "usually" pay the customer the cheapest quote and not the decorator.
The customer then keeps the money for themselves, buys a new plasma screen and the decorator gets...Jack.

Well we have already had people out to check everything is okay, and we are getting new flooring etc.

The ceiling was brand new in our hall and spare room so should be no problem with that. Little bit concerned as we hadn't got round to decorating it again before we got flooded. Thats why im worried about the quote being too high. They have already gone ahead with the flooring so should be okay.

Thanks for your advise, and I would not think i will be getting any money direct to me.

Growler said:
Yeah right.

I have done Insurance quotes for people in the last couple of months, and twice I have not been the lowest, yet I got the quote, the reason being was my quote was more detailed than the others. so they told me.

And Suze, they dont always pay the money to the client, I have had the money sent direct to me quite a few times, you dont know until they tell you.

Good luck with your quotes, I think your £650 sounds okay to me, are they supplying all the materials too?

It sounds quite cheap actually..

Maybe about 4/5 days work plus mats..

Most people, myself included, rack the price up for insurance jobs...for a few reasons really..one..becuase you have to wait so long for the money..two...because insurance compaies are paying and not the individual...three...because 'what the hell'..your not likely to get the job anyway because the customer will get the money, bung their old uncle a couple of quid for splashing some paint on...and pocket the rest! :evil:

Id say on a percentage, when I did insurance jobs..id get 10% if I was lucky..maybe not even that.

The last person who stitched me up like that was...get this...a Barrister!

Stuff em ..ive got better things to do with my time then pricing work for other peoples benefit

Suze...get three of the dearest firms in the price it...then leave it to the insurance company...what they do is wrong..they are forcing you to go for the cheapest job...which could be the most shoddy.

Agree it does sound cheep. Tooo cheap for me. Is the cost of living that low in Ayshire :?:

I always find customer gets cheque from insurance company. It's one of my stipulations in contract that customer pays me when job is done regardless of wheter the cheque has come from insurance co.
Had one job once where I had to tidy a 'Botched insurance job' up. The people tried to claim again DUH!!!! but of course the insurers stated that money had been paid and it was up to them to get the job done right...

On the other hand did a recent ceiling repair and loyds bank insurers came and inspected it :eek: :eek: Must say never had that before lol but passsed soo weres me halo lol

Thanks everyone for replying. Still haven't got all my decorating quotes back yet, hopefully they will be a little bit higher!

Go for a Good job, and don't post them the cheap quotes.

Thesedays i wont touch a insurance job with a bargepole ,why because iv lost count of the number of times iv been asked to them ,er they the customer phone me ,yes where are ? 10 mile away ,can you call around teatime ? ok off i go ,get stuck in rush hour traffic ,get there ,do the price come back 2,half hours time and diesel wasted ,never hear another word off them ,why cos all they want is a written estimate off a decorator for the insurance companies ,in 5 years never got one job so in the end if anybody asked me for the above i now say its 25 quid refunded on completion and payment of job ,they soon get off the phone !

Jesus those are 2006 prices ffks. :eek:

Cost lots more in this recession ... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back