cost of exterior painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got four estimates for the exterior painting of my house,

Two estimates are from painters that have been recommended to me by reliable sources, one estimate was for £1487 the other was for £3200 so a massive difference.

In order to clarify the situation I got two more estimates from painters who I have seen working around the local area and asked them for references from previous customers, one of these estimates came in at £2700 and the other at £1250.

How can there be such a massive difference in prices for the same job?

The £2700 decorator told me that the cost of materials would be £600 so even if you knock that off the highest estimate and the cheapest one spent nothing on materials then the labour cost difference between the two is double.

Are the expensive ones ripping me off or are the cheapest ones simply going to splash some paint on and run?

Can anyone help clarify please.

P.S.

I have told them all that I will getting a joiner to overhaul the window frames and splice in new wood as required, so there is no requirement for major remedial work prior to painting.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
They are ripping you off mate. Even the cheapest is pricey. Materials of £600? You don't live on the Forth Bridge do you?

Yeah, the £600 comment surprised me too!

To put a bit more flesh on the bones, it is quite a big house ( two storey hundred year old semi with a couple of small attic dormers).

The front of the house is rendered and painted as is a kitchen extension at the back. All the windows at the back are PVCU, but the front and side windows are wooden.

I know it is very difficult to be specific, but how much should I expect to pay and how (other than personal recommendation, which I have tried) do I get a good job without being ripped off?

You've asked for estimates and you've got them.
You've asked for references and you've got them.
I'm guessing that these estimates are also "free" so it's not cost you anything.

You're other option is to get a "day rate" from your painters and buy the paint yourself, but i'm also guessing that you wouldn't want to pay anything if they get rained off or frost damage or rain damage on any glosswork or rain and wind damage when having the render painted.

Stick a few pics up and maybe some of these guys will tell you how much they'd charge and whether any scaffold would be needed.

Incidentally, I did a pebbledash a while back and grossly underpriced it and the stuff cost me about £600....then I had the woodwork and gates to do as well.

Oh , my mistake and their gain as I didn't get any more for it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys

Growler said
You've asked for estimates and you've got them.
You've asked for references and you've got them.
I'm guessing that these estimates are also "free" so it's not cost you anything.

All true, it has cost me nothing to get the quotes. What I am trying to find out is what is a reasonable cost for the job, I am not trying to get the work done on the cheap, or criticising the higher quotes. I genuinely do not know how much is a reasonable price for the work required, if it turns out that 3K is a reasonable price then I am prepared to pay that much.

I am not a professional painter which is why I am asking the question here, what I can't understand is how four people who are professional painters can come up with such a vast variation in price for the same job

Thanks

Sorry,

Just to clarify a bit further regarding access, top price quote specifically says that it does not include painting the eaves on the side of the house as there is a problem with access. The lowest price quote is from a painter who told me that access would not be a problem as he has his own scaffolding tower.

what I can't understand is how four people who are professional painters can come up with such a vast variation in price for the same job

Well it's simple really. People are different, they think differently from each other. Put them all in the same room (or forum) and you'd have a better chance of agreement.

You can have an excellent painter and decorator but he/she might be a rubbish estimator. I often ask matey how much he'd charge for a job i'm doing and it can be a lot different than my estimate. You're trying to project yourself into the future to see how long you think the job will take and folk have different ways of working as well i.e early starters and get stuck in vs turn up at 9 have a brew sit down for dinner and just plod along.

Estimates do vary. That's probably why you got more than one, otherwise we'd all just need one estimate.

What I do know is if I underestimate something, I wont get any more for it and what really makes me sick is when I give an estimate and they ask me how long it's going to take.....what they're really after is, if it takes me less time than estimated, they want some money back :!:

I am not a professional painter either and have no idea about the cost but I would ask the 4 guys who quoted you for more details - what exactly are they going to do - applying fungicide, filling cracks, primer, how many coats of paint, what materials - make, quality. How long each job is supposed to take, etc.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back