1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Day Rate For Painting ?

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by WetBimbette, 25 Sep 2010.

1. WetBimbette

WetBimbette

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just found the forum and joined up hoping for a bit of help.

What should I be paying per day for a painter, I need some painting done in a house I have just moved into and the estimate I have been given seems a bit high (£150 per day??). To put it into perspective, I have just moved down south to Middlesex from the North West so I am not used to paying Southern prices. If it's the going rate then OK, however, I just want to try to avoid being ripped off.

Wet Bimbette

2. joe-90

joe-90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    £180.

Or 30 quid for a Slavic.

3. WetBimbette

WetBimbette

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Eeh Bah Gum joe, talk about the North/South divide, where do I get me a Slavic? Surely £180 per day for a painter is a bit strong, perhaps my quote of £150 was reasonable.

Wet Bimbette

4. Lyngarth

Lyngarth

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I charge £165 per day, (8hrs) so £150 is not to bad a price.

5. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You are all having a :LOL: Sussex plasterer £150 a day Painter £120 :rolleyes: Middlesex must be able to get close - surely. Remember the old builders adage - If you can **** you can paint :idea:

6. joe-90

joe-90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah but some of us can **** higher than others.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. WetBimbette

WetBimbette

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nige F,

Thanks for the info, the £120 per day you quoted for a painter in Sussex is more in line with what I thought it would be. I assume that the reasons joe and Lyngarth are indicating higher rates is because they have vested interests in keeping rates high, ie, they are contractors rather than customers. There is nothing wrong in that, it is part of the game, however, as a customer I hope to play the game on my terms.

Hopefully, customers in Sussex and Middlesex should be able to source painters at a rate closer to the £120 you quoted, however, here's hoping....

Wet Bimbette

8. chapeau

chapeau

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I use a lad who is a qualified joiner who prefers to decorate and he asks for eighty five quid a day. One of the best tradesmen I know, never one to moan, gets his head down and does the job. Also handy with the inevitable work which needs wood working skills as he does all that that extra stuff for same price.

9. WetBimbette

WetBimbette

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

chapeau,

That sort of price is very good value and even at perhaps £20 more per day or a little more is getting back to reality. I suppose the fact that some customers will pay exorbitant rates has led tradesmen to believe that it is their divine right to charge grotesque amounts to unsuspecting members of the public.

Wet Bimbette

10. joe-90

joe-90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yet you are quite happy to pay a surveyor £500 for a 20 minute survey?

11. roughcaster

roughcaster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yep,,,, and they don't even get their hands dirty,,,, sharks!!!

12. WetBimbette

WetBimbette

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    joe-90,

What has a surveyor got to do with anything? This topic is about what is a fair day rate for a painter and not about surveyor fees. Surveying is a different trade altogether and there is no justification in attempting to compare painters rates to surveyor fees.

With survey fees associated with house purchases, a mortgage valuation survey is a basic mandatory requirement if the purchaser is borrowing a reasonable amount of the purchase price. In this case, the customer has no choice but to pay the rate, however, for painting there is much more freedom of choice for the customer and they do not have to pay grotesque inflated rates from tradesmen.

Wet Bimbette

13. joe-90

joe-90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    But you still pay for a surveyor just the same - or a gas fitter on £70 -£100 per hour? If you don't want to pay a decent amount - do it yourself.

14. WetBimbette

WetBimbette

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    joe-90,

There is a difference between a fair amount and a grotesque amount. Your quoted figure of £180 per day for a painter is grotesque. Why should people do it themselves if they are not prepared to pay £180 per day, surely they are allowed to shop around in a free market to find a tradesman at a sensible price?

To go back to surveyor fees, most people are not happy at paying these amounts, however, they have no choice if they wish to borrow money to buy a home. However, for a painter, no matter how high they can pizz, they can be sourced for a lot less than £180 per day.

Wet Bimbette

15. joe-90

joe-90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well why can't you find one then? What are you asking for?