which isolator??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope some one can help, i am trying to plan a few steps ahead i am currently having my house plastered and once finished the electrican(if located) will hopefully be back to do 2nd fix which involves a new consumer unit as he has had to rewire the entire house. He advised in his original quote that i would have to contact by electricity supplier to have them disconnect the supply why he rewires the new consumer unit.

After watching several you tube videos i notice that most of the electricans have instructed the customer to contact the electricity supplier and ask for an isolator to be put in between the meter and the consumer box so they can work safely.

I rang the supplier and yes they can do that but want to know what pole isolator i want i tried to tell them i'm just a home owner and haven't got a clue they told me to ask my electrican..i have but he is not replying to any of my messages its been over a week

So the question is what isolator do i need? single pole? double pole? and do i get them to upgrade the meter tails at the same time? as the electrician recommend 25mm but looking at whats there i think there only 16mm

Sponsored Links
You need a double pole 100A switch.
Whether the supplier changes the supply to meter tails and/or meter to isolator tails is down to them. It depends on the supply fuse.
If you have some handy they might fit them.

Once fitted the tails from the isolator to the consumer unit is up to you and the electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back