Which jointing compound

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Clearly I need to remove and remake these joints on the sink. They are currently made dry. What would you prefer to stop leaks? I have:
  • Silicone sealant
  • A bit of old Geocel plumber joint
  • Manky old tub of Plumbers Mate
Mayb I should do a poll:)

DSC_0023.JPG DSC_0022.JPG

Sponsored Links
Seals, if good quality should seal fully on good surfaces like stainless steel sinks, if tightened properly.
But just some clear silicone will do perfectly on each side of washers (or Plumbers Gold or CT1 or Tec7 if you wanted extremely strong sealant)

Strip it out and clean everything with hot soapy water and remove all the debris and scum. Once everything is dry & nice and shiny then refit and nip it up, it shouldn't really need anything. Silicone on those seals & surfaces can actually make the seals move and misalign if tightened too much.

One drawback is it's a manufacturers own waste so they're not normally the best of stuff.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, silicone it is.

They are nice and tight. It's one of these sinks made out of stone dust.

Silicone all the way. I've owned a tub of Plumbers Mait for 15 years and I'm still yet to find a good use for it. Might be a bit dry by now, come to think of it...

Silicone all the way. I've owned a tub of Plumbers Mait for 15 years and I'm still yet to find a good use for it. Might be a bit dry by now, come to think of it...

On sinks I'd just use the supplied seals, but then it depends on the quality of the manufacturer and wherever in the world they hail from! When replacing, it's mcalpine so quality is there.

I have to say though, as I've done before, on basins, for me it's mait all the way - first time every time. Tried silicone and when testing immediately (cos of time constraints), some have leaked and then you're into cleaning it off and starting again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back