Which Kitchen cupboard paint?

Sponsored Links
What type of doors do you currently have? Photos will help.

BTW a high gloss finish is more difficult to achieve than an eggshell finish.

Hi, yeah since writing this post been doing a bit of further research and most people get better finishes using eggshells and satins when DIY painting, they aren't real wood, they are laminated, shaker style, my plan of attack is, rub down slightly to key, clean and degrease, zinsser bin, then few coats of finish.

All of the above is what I would recommend.

The BIN will need to be applied using a mohair rad roller.and tray It dries extremely quickly so work fast to minimise paint build up. Clean brushes and rollers in household ammonia. It will break the paint down and as the ammonia evaporates off over night, in the morning you will be left with water with white dust in the bottom that can be poured away. Do not use a foam roller with BIN, the alcohol makes the foam expand to double its original size.

BIN is smelly whilst you work with it but the smell goes as soon as it dries. The smell is nothing more than alcohol. It cures extremely fast- typically 3 days, faster than waterbased paints and significantly faster than oil based paints.

You may need to give the BIN a light sand with 180 grit silicone carbide sandpaper if the build up is too high. It is a PITA to sand though.

BIN is available in spray tins but the nozzle clogs very quickly and leads to splatters.

A day after you apply the BIn you will be good to go with your top coat. If you go for waterbased paint then Floetrol may help you achieve a flatter finish. If using oil based paints use Owatrol to minimise the brushmarks, additionally add a little Terebene to speed drying times. If you do go for oilbased also buy a TradeMate 4 brush container (about £20), at the end of each day you hang the brush in the box and the vapours in the box stop it from drying out. I have a number of Trademate boxes and so long as I top up the vapour, I can leave my brushes in the boxes for years. I only take the brushes out to clean them if they pick up dirt whilst painting.

I'd recommend using a 2 or 2.5" synthetic brush such as Purdy Sprig Elite or Wooster Ultra Pro Firm. You are looking at about £12-14 for a brush but they will provide a much better finish than the ones you will find in a DIY shed. Some of my Wooster brushes are 20 years old and as good as the day I first purchased them. It goes without saying that it you abuse an expensive brush you will end up with an expensive rubbish brush.

Sponsored Links
Opps, what brand and type of paint would you recommend for top coat, I'm reading from proper kitchen cabinet paint to one coat gloss

I tend to stick with Dulux Trade eggshell. If it is a light colour, I would apply 3 coats of eggshell. The third coat makes it feel much smoother.

If you are going for a dark green or red, for example, you may need to apply a suitably coloured undercoat first, grey for green and red for red paint.

I recently painted MDF for an flush under stair cupboard door, 2 new windowsills and skirting.
Of course not laminated so used a water based acrylic primer/undercoat. 2 coats as the first just sinks in anyway on MDF.
120 light sand beforehand and then 240 between coats. It dried quickly and looked fairly streaky but I just made sure it felt very smooth between coats.
I used 240 before the 1st top coat

For your cupboards I can see Dulux Trade do a water based 2 part Ultra grip primer which they say is suitable for laminate, glazed tile, glass etc. Never used it so can't comment on it's effectiveness but opps might be able to.
Because I knew I would never manage to get a brilliant finish using a brush, especially on the big door, I used a foam roller.
Maybe surprisingly, I used B&Q's colours (water based) quick drying eggshell. Very pleased with the results. Takes about 20-30 minutes to dry.
Plenty of paint on the roller, don't overspread it and keep a wet edge. Careful not to get paint too thick on the edges. If I did then I had a dry brush at hand to brush it off. I painted the door edges last on each coat and used much less paint on the roller for the edges.
Sand with 240 between coats to a really smooth finish and vacuum off the dust and then wipe.
I gave them 2 coats, but for kitchen cabinets probably best to use 3.

The windowsill is in the kitchen behind the sink so it gets splashed with water etc. It's been there for 6 months now and wipes down with a damp cloth fine and no worse for wear. No chips on skirting boards but we don't have any kids or pets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back