Which lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

i want to raise the height of the garage door to install a new one. Currently, as shown in the picture attached, there is a 9x4inch timber (double) holding up the bricks above.

I want to use a concrete lintel and was told that x2 9x4 inch would be good but could be too large and maybe too heavy for to install.

The width of the opening is 247cm
The width of the garage is about 360cm.

I will be doing the job so i rather not rent out a lift and just rather get a steel one to make it easier...

was looking at something like this:

Thereafter, i will redo the bricks to the top.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

IMG_3419.jpg

Sponsored Links
it will be supporting 3.2m x 1m of bricks (solid double brick wall)

isn't a 6x4 inch suppressed concrete lintel enough ?

I have calculated this as the load.
102.5mm Brickwork2.00 kN/m²

So 3.2m2 x 2.00 = 6.4Kn x 2 (double brick) = 12.8Kn

So maybe it is an overkill to use a 6x4inch concrete lintel.

Sponsored Links

which concrete lintel size would be sufficient? 6x4? i will just hire a genie to put in place...

which concrete lintel size would be sufficient? 6x4? i will just hire a genie to put in place...
You would need 2 concrete lintels, external one on show, better using the steel lintel as suggested, add up the cost of 2 concrete lintels plus Genie hire.

You would need 2 concrete lintels, external one on show, better using the steel lintel as suggested, add up the cost of 2 concrete lintels plus Genie hire.
Hi

Yes that’s true. Good point.

with this steel one as stated above, does the box need to be filled with anything? Just never used one before

Thanks

Quick qs. Does the bearing have to be 150mm similar to concrete lintels?
For that type of lintel probably yes, for your size opening a standard 2700mm (and cheaper) would give you a bearing of about 115mm might be ok if not much weight on top, but you have a fair amount of brickwork.

Currently there are x2 7x3 inch timber supporting this 3m x1 m high walll…. This should be ok? No? Wood lintel is good? Is it compliant by regs? Or is it just steel and concrete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back