Which Makita multi tool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,
I'm on the Makita 18v platform and want a cordless multi tool.
Anyone any views on whether to get the DTM50, 51 or 52?
Cant decide between going cheap with the DTM50 (£90) or the DTM52 (£175).
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The DTM50 requires a hex wrench to change the blade, which will be immensely annoying and timewasting. Buying it will be instant regret.

The others are a choice between brushed and brushless.

AFAIK the brushless one (DTM52) uses only the Starlock blades, which are pretty expensive. Of the two others I'd go for the DTM51 (I did) because it has a quick release blade change which saves trying to find the (invariably mislaid) Allen key every time you change blades. That QR lever sometimes gets in the way, but not often. As cordless tools they lack the power of corded tools but they mostly make up for it in convenience. If you are only an occasional user, or on a tight budget, there is nothing wrong with the DTM50 as a usable tool, but if you change blades a lot the QR blade change is worth the extra cost IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back