which nail gun do i need any help please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am going to be putting up few fences for myself and family, all of the closeboard type ie arris rails etc and due to the amount of nailing needed I thought I would hire a nail gun but bearing mind I will do the job over a quite few weekends etc, I see that if I bought one and sold it after finishing the job I would save a lot of money that would have gone on hire charges even if I get half what I pay for it.

I know very little about nail guns except that they are powered differently, think I have seen some with gas ganisters or something. Would prefer to keep it simple and get one that is just powered by 230V mains if possible.

I have read that to put up these types of fences you should use 50mm lost head nails or ovals but I don't even know if you can get these types of nails for nail guns or if there are alternatives etc. I have looked a bit on the net and I see you can get guns that will do 50mm nails for about £100, but don't know if they are any good/rubbish or just right etc.

So can someone please bring me up to speed on these and recommend a couple or so ( that will cope with the size nails I need to use) please and maybe tell me why one is better than the other etc?

I assume they will have power adjustments on them to stop you shooting nails straight through the fence into a neighbour.

I may have some other work for this gun as I am putting up a self built shed too, so it may be nice that the gun would be capable of smaller jobs too. I normally hardly ever use nails as I favour screws but I suddenly seem to have a few jobs that you would not ever do with screws.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Nah, your arm will soon get knackered. Get a nail pouch and a few bags of 50mm ring shank nails, you'll soon be up to speed!

Nail guns are overrated. Nothing better and the satisfaction of watching a nail go in with you own hard work!

Sponsored Links
if youre doing closeboard fence then hire out a coil nailer and compressor. Its what we use and i can feather edge out a run of fencing in no time with mine. Anything else will be no quicker than using a hammer and nails, as you will take too long reloading it. Very few of them use the right sort of nail either and end up splitting the boards.

Make sure you get the ended arris rails and morticed posts, they area lot stronger, and dont forget the centre peg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back