Which paint brushes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to buy some high quality paint brushes and wondered what the professional painters use and where they can be obtained. Also what size would you recommend for general house DIY. I don't mind paying for good quality.

MOD

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
What we miss here are the ;round' brushes, all we can find in any shed are the 'straight' ones. We always used round one especially on wood-work (window- and door frames) for the best results).

And rollers for walls, not brushes (as you see them doing in DIY tv programs!)

Never have gone for the real expensive brushes, I always use the Harris No Loss (blue handle) brushes and have been pleased with the results. I tend to use a 2" and a 1/2" for most things.

Definitely use a roller on walls and ceilings. Ita saves hours for one and gives a much nicer result.

Probably the best ones you can buy on general sale are Hamilton Perfection brushes.

Cheaper to buy a boxed set in one of the decorators merchants though.

Id go for a 2, 1 1/2 and a 1 inch.

The 3 inch is a beautiful brush but will set you back about 18 squids.

They also make a range called the 's' series....which are synthetic filaments...better for water based gloss's and undercoats.

Purdy also make a good brush.....but they take a little getting used too.

The DIY sheds tend to only sell cheap an cheerful brushes....look for a good 'length out' of bristles and a thick stock....(start to sound like a Carry On film here! :oops: )

When selecting a brush pull the bristles apart and check to see if there is a piece of wood in the centre of them.....if there is dont bother...its there purely to pack the brush out..leaving it with no 'guts'.

(Its ok for synthetic brushes to have this though as the bristles are stiffer anyway and need space between them)

Pure china hog bristle is important....but beware....there are many grades..some are top quality....some come from the hogs ar* !

http://www.hamilton-acorn.co.uk/Default.asp

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
What we miss here are the ;round' brushes, all we can find in any shed are the 'straight' ones. We always used round one especially on wood-work (window- and door frames) for the best results).

Would these fit the bill?

Looks likes it, but the ones I have in mind are more tapered at the top. Wonderful to use when painting windows- and door frames.

ok...the ones you are looking for are available in most trade centres....certainly the Crown and Dulux ones... they are often call 'sash brushes' but most people in the trade affectionally know them as 'dogs cocks'

Think about it. :rolleyes:

cant i use a bristle shaving brush then? They look the same apart from a longer handle!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back