Which paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We had a kitchen and utility extension built 12 months ago and for speed and convenience I painted all the bare plaster on walls and ceiling with Leyland Trade Matt Emulsion. So now I’m thinking I maybe need something more hard wearing as there are some light scuffs on the walls and the external corners some of the paint has come away. Not sure about using Eggshell as I like the Matt finish. Any advice appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Nabby

Have a look at the likes of Dulux Trade Diamond matt. It is about £45 per 5L (white).

https://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/dulux-trade-diamond-matt

At a push you can scrub it with a green scouring pad but if you are too aggressive it may make the area slightly shinier.

You may find the first coat seems thick as it soaks in to the existing emulsion. Try to avoid over rolling the first coat otherwise you may end up with a finish that feels like someone has added very fine sand. The second coat should slide more easily.

The second coat does take a bit longer to dry than standard matt but you should be able to apply two coats in one day.

I normally spot prime any bare plaster with thinned standard matt emulsion to provide a uniform "canvas".

Hi opps
Much appreciated for your reply. The paint you suggest sounds good but maybe a bit expensive at £40 for 5l as the area I need to cover is quite large. Do you know of any cheaper alternatives?
Thanks again

Look at the Leyland Hardwearing Matt.

From memory is about 25%-30% cheaper. I don't think you will get a decent durable matt for much less though.

The usual suspects- Crown, Johnstones, F&B, etc will all have their own variants. I don't imagine that they will be cheaper than Leyland. Not sure where you live, but here in west London, I am don't even know if any of my suppliers sell it (that said I have never asked).

Another alternative would be to use a clear matt (waterbased) varnish over the matt paint (eg Ployvine) but that is more expensive and you need to vacuum the walls to remove all of the fluff/dust otherwise you will see it trapped in the clear varnish. Additionally, the clear matt varnish can make some paints become darker.

Sponsored Links
I really like Valspar paint , is expensive goes twice as far .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back