Which Plan is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My heating and hot water are controlled by a non-combi boiler with a DHW tank. There are NO valves in the system at all.

Which wiring plan is this?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You mean you have a conventional boiler with a hot water cylinder and two tanks in the loft. Do you have a pump, room thermostat, cylinder stat, motorised valve(s) or lever. More info required even pics will help :D

Yes, It's a conventional boiler. There is a hot water cylinder upstairs with a tank above it. The central heating has a pump next to the boiler with a tank in the loft, there is a separate programmer and thermostat.
There are no motorised or mechanical valves on the system at all.

:)

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure it's boxed in!
The CH flow and return are 22mm and the 2? DHW convection pipes are 28mm.

Would seem you have gravity hot water with pumped heating.
Not uncommon to find this set up.

Sounds right.
I am looking for a wiring plan to use as I have put in 2 zone valves which are controlled by different thermostats.

You will need more than a "wiring plan"! you should consider converting to fully pumped, if the boiler is more than 20 years old consideration should be given to replacing this was well

I belive the minimum Sundial plan you could use would be the "C+" plan
with a MV in the hot water gravity ;)

They are around 1.5m from the boiler on the 22mm CH flow just after a T.
Mine isn't C plan or C Plus.
It works as intended, but I can't wire it to just have the DHW on without one or both of the valves opening. I think I should have bought a motorised valve with a 2 pole switch. I think now I will use have to use a contactor!

Google Honeywell Sundial plans you should find schemtric drawings both mechanical & electrical you have gravity hot Water and Pumped heating, the Honeywell C+ plan is the one you need it uses a SINGLE 28mm 2 port valve on the Gravity return, a three wire auxillary switch in the actuator has the common wired to the burner, the NO is wired to the cylinder stat call for heat and the NC is wired to the call for heat terminal form the Room thermostat, this will enable the burner to fire when the circulating (Heating) pump runs, or on it's own (without the pump) for hot water only - this scheme is not very common these days as fully pummped systems are generally the norm ;)

Thanks for taking the time to write that. Although I've actually done it now.
In the end I ignored the wiring diagrams and designed it on a piece of paper myself. As I didn't want to add another valve to the gravity DHW I didn't! So everything still runs as intended except that we can't have the DHW heating on on its own, only when the heating is on. When the weather is warmer I will either re-wire it so that it can be used and the CH not or add a contactor which should allow it to work as it should do.
Ironically now we have the separate CH heating zone for the fish pond the weather has warmed up and we don't need it now!

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back