Which profile to choose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two of the quotations I have received for windows have specified different profiles. Which one is the best option?

1. Marshall Tufflex, externally beaded with security tape for added security and mechanically jointed.

2. Rehau which I believe is internally glazed and not mechanically welded.

The Marshall Tufflex seems to be a slimmer profile, is this significant?

Thanks, denb

Sponsored Links
Personal experience only but I did a lot of recky before splashing out a fair amount of cash on all new windows in my 60s renovation. Marshall Tufflex was not one that I came across in my search for the holy grail; I had the choice of 2 & finally chose Rehau Argon units.

They were considered top of the tree at one time & are still very highly rated in their price range but, these days, the quality of installation means everything. I would have no problems in recommending the Rehau units; mine were fitted 18 months ago (including 2 sets of French doors) & so far have been perfect with no problems at all. It probably wouldn’t make much difference to a determined intruder but, personally, I wouldn’t have externally glazed units, security tape or not!

Marshall Tufflex is a British company who also make guttering and come mid way in the rating chart of window profiles, not a bad frame.

Rehau is (as Richard said) in the top 3, the others being Kommerling and Veka, excellent products with a fantastic track record and all German(Who inverted the stuff!) IIRC

You can not get internally glazed, mechnically jointed frames unless dummy sashed, extra vents that look like openers but dont open. Equal sight lines is also a term used.

Mechanically jointed frames are a cheap way of making frames, fully welded with reverse butt welds are a lot better.

Internally glazed frames are the best also ask for shootbolts on all the downstairs windows and make sure you get egress hinges in all the bedrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back