Which protection/coating for Cedar cladding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I am getting some western red cedar cladding installed on the exterior of my property (also cedar garage doors) and I have a query with regards to the best way to protect the timber and preserve the colour.

I love the various shades of brown and red on the cedar and would like to preserve this by using a clear or "natural" finish. I dont want it to fade to the weathered grey look that some prefer.

What is the best method of treatment for this. I have had a look but there is so much choice that I dont know what I should be going for? (oil, stain etc) If someone who has cedar cladding can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I dont know if you can do it with cedar but i saw something once where they used larch and heated it up to bring out the natural resins, no better protection than that i reckon. Failing that sikkens cetol range

Cedar is a tricky wood due to its resinous makeup. Thas why its used as cedar shingles on roofs. Certain products might not stay on due the the resin.

Just been through exactly the same process with my fence. Built a 6 metre long x 2.4 metre high fence and up and over garage door out of Western Red cedar and after just two weeks it was starting to go grey. Tried all sorts of products to get the colour I wanted, i.e. the same as the original colour of the wood but have to say I couldn't get close.

Tried Cetol and if fact bought four different colours but they all came up VERY dark brown. In all I must have done about 20 samples and in the end used Sadolin clear satin. I'm happy with the result but if I'm honest it's not really what I wanted, everything colours the wood to some extent but the Sadolin's the best of the bunch IMHO.

If I can work out how to post a pic I'll show it to you.

Sponsored Links
Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies.

I read somewhere that its best to treat the cedar as quickly as you can to avoid the quick onset of weathering. Based on this I plan to treat the cedar cladding and garage doors before they are fitted, as the materials are currently in my garage awaiting me to get my finger out .

The Sadolin clear satin sounds like a good starting point. I will see if I can get my hands on some to try out on my tester piece. It would be great if you could figure out how to post a pic Coliholic.

Keep those suggestions coming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back