Cedar cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im just finishing cladding my outbuilding with Cedar, i would like to preserve the red finish and prevent cupping of boards etc, i read something about coating it with oil? Or do i use a clear matt exterior varnish? What's the best method?

Many thanks.

F

Sponsored Links
And... should i be using stainless oval nails, see alot of sites recommend this, ive started of with steel nails!?
I will be coating the boards and have been of course fixing the cladding into the tongue so the nails are virually hidden, but i dont want rust permiating into the wood and causing staining or am i just worrying like a girl? :)

I've used "Solignum" on cedar in the past, not sure which exact product but will see if I can find the tin.

You should not use ferrous (iron/steel) fixings with cedar as you get black staining around the fixing.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Your steel nails will react with the acidic oil in the wood and stain it and corrode prematurely. It does not matter if you are coating the timber or if you have secret nailed the boards, the oils in the wood will still get to the nails

Only use stainless steel or aluminum nails with cedar.

Don't use a varnish on cedar. It will crack and cause the cladding to go blotchy.

Use a proper [clear] oil specifically for cedar. It does not have to protecting from rot, but from the UV rays to stop it greying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back