Which seal/stain for new wood oak worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

ive got a new wooden oak wortop. I got some kind of cream seal from Ikea which was for worktops. I applied this three times before installing it. It was white in colour but did make the worktops darker. After three coats it was at the desired colour. The worktop was not from ikea but they had the stain for sale so i bought it

the worktop has been on about a week and although i have been taking care of it, i dont think it is sealed properly. i think it needs some sort of water repelant seal on it.

when it gets wet the smoot surface seems to go a little fluffy and there is now lighter patches appearing and i am sure that it will stain if something gets on it that would stain it.

what is the best thing to to use treat new oak worktops? i have seen some worktop seal at B & Q which says it is for new wood worktops and gives it a waterproof seal. i dont want a varnish type look, just a natural look that protects my worktop from water, stains and looks nice.

Sponsored Links
Personally I use Danish oil. Some people argue that it should not be used due to some of its ingredients, but I and a few friends use it and it gives a cracking durable finish, and it has not done us any harm.

I'd use tung oil, it's like Danish oil, but without the dryers. Tung oil will will give a less glossy finish than Danish oil, and penetrate further.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back