Which shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace my mixer valve & have been told that Mira are the best.
Are they much better then other makes or are you just paying extra for the name?
Thanks. Dave.

Sponsored Links
one of the best but their are many like hudson reed etc but just don't buy unbranded makes from the sheds.

I've noticed a lot of Triton for sale on Ebay are they any good?

I'm curious about what makes one valve better then another.
I'd have thought being as they were all mainly made from brass there wouldn't be a lot of difference between a Mira & a cheaper make.

alot of people slate triton but i've never had any problems with any of their showers.
as for flee bay i won't buy any crap from their if it's cheap as with a shower you need the guarentee, the guarentee don't start from when fitted, starts from when the item was brought and the date on the receipt.
so how long has the person selling it cheap on flee bay had it and does he have the receipt. 9/10 no.

buy from a desent wholesaler who you can deal with if you have any problems, not one 100 miles away and you can never contact on the phone.

Sponsored Links
i recently bought a hudson reed thermostaic shower valve, came with crome fittings. I called up customer services (despite buying from local store) and asked if they sold a round trim, she asked for my name and address and sent me one out for free!! So aftersales care is good too.

Bought the helix for £99 all in!

http://www.tapsshop.co.uk/A3004_Helix.jpg

Good luck

Thanks for the help lads.
I had a look on the tapshop site & that helix valve is £152.70 now.
There was another on that site I liked the look of & then I found it £30 cheaper at "bathroomstuff.com." It certainly pays to shop around.

Ahh no i didnt buy it from there just thought id show you a pic.

I found the helix on ebay and noticed the ebay store was actually a trades bathroom store near my workplace

http://www.bathdisc.co.uk/shop/

When going into the store they had the helix priced up at £150 but i asked about the pricing and he knocked it down to £99.

Grab a hudson reed catalogue if you know the one you want give em a ring might beat the price.

Good luck

Now I've had a better chance to have a look around the web I've found another which I'm going to get instead of the hudson reed.
The hudson reed valve would have entailed a bit of work for me to fit but this one is the same centres as my existing bar type valve & will hopefuly be a straight swap.

I've never heard of the make "Hansgrohe" but they appear to be well known.
That last link of yours (bathdisc) also sells the one I want.

http://www.bathdisc.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2208

I know I was told to avoid ebay but Hansgrohe have a shop on there & sell their stuff discounted by a canny amount.. They also still give you the full warranty so i might as well save some cash & buy direct from them

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/hansgrohe-uk_Shower-Mixers_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ15524318QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Can anybody tell me if the 4 valves in the above link are all the same with just cosmetic differences? That's how they look to me, anyway.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You might want to check whether they are thermostatic, from the description and the price im guessing its not.

Not sure if thats important to you, but maybe something for you to consider if you have kids etc.

Might be worth spending that extra £50 or so.

Good luck

Ok D1nhs, thanks for that.
My current valve isn't thermostatic & nobody has been injured yet (kids grown up) so it's a feature I'm not too bothered about.

A slight change of subject, I'm going to fit a pump to the shower to increase performance.
I have a salamander "ct50 twin" which is supplied with 15mm flexi's.
The instructions say that the feeds to the pump should not be over 2metres long in 15mm pipe. My cold feed will be nearer 3metres long, should I use 1metre of 22mm then the last 2metres in 15mm?
Or am i missunderstanding the instruction below?

The hot supply pipework to the pump is maximum
5 metres in 22mm (HOT AND COLD SUPPLIES NOT
MORE THAN 2 metres in 15mm).

One other thing please, is plastic barrier pipe with pushfit fittings any good? I'm thinking of using it to connect up the pump to my existing pipework, but I'm wondering if it is decent stuff?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back