Which Size Towel Radiator Do I Use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small bathroom radiator which is on its last legs and I would like to replace it with a towel radiator.

The bathroom floor is tiled with the radiator pipes coming up through th efloor and tiles.

I have measured the distance between the pipes which is 550mm. The pipes are copper 15mm therefore I assume this means pipe centre is 565mm?

So now the dilema. The towel radiators I have to choose between have pipe centres of 550mm and 560mm. Which one should I go for?

From my figures above it would suggest that whichever version I choose the pipes will be slightly too far apart for the radiator and seeing as the floor is tiled and grouted I'm not sure whether I will be able to manipulate the pipes any.

If I go for the radiator which has pipe centre of 560mm do you think I would be able to persuade it to fit to my copper pipes which have the 565mm pipe centre?

If not then how would I go about making it fit?

Many thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Is my pipe centre calculation correct then? I assume pipe centre means the distance between the centre of each copper pipe coming up from the floor?

Should I be persuading the 2.5mm difference by just applying pressure or maybe with a rubber mallet?

Thanks

no not a rubber mallet, you'll kink them at the tile level then you'll be having the floor up.

sometimes removing the grout from around the pipe can give you enough play in the pipes.
then re grout it when towel rail fitted or fit two pipe shrouds.

how long are the pipes out of the floor to the towel rail ?

Sponsored Links
That's a good idea to remove the grout!

From tile to the bottom of the existing rad valves is 125mm. I'm planning on ordering a couple of in line manual valves to replca the standard valves.

try the grout you'll probably find that'll give you enough movement if not you can slightly lever each one to give you 2.5mm movement.

but don't get heavy handed or you'll kink them.

inline valves will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back