Which smart controller for new system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Finally got my oil fired open vented system up and running which also heats the DHW cylinder.
I have not bought a programmer yet as am thinking about a Nest thermostat.
My requirements are to control the heating system and the hot water.
My system is an oil fired worcester greenstar open vent system with motorised valve set up as Y plan.
I've read about the Nest 3rd gen. Stat.

Would that suite my needs ? and can I fit and set it up myself ?
I am ok with electrics and plumbing etc as it was my main job for 20 years.
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on Smart stats etc.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Full smart and make all the rads active.
Simple, easy, no mess, full controllability.

I've the wiser system and it's been a revelation.

Ok, could go down that route when funds allow.
For the time being I am thinking a Nest 3rd gen to control the heating and hot water and was just enquiring as weather it would be compatible with my plumbing.
Also are ther any advantages over Nest ' Hive etc or cons for that matter.

Would that suite my needs ? and can I fit and set it up myself ?
I am ok with electrics and plumbing etc as it was my main job for 20 years.
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on Smart stats etc.
Pretty straight forward to install and set up, yes they are good, nothing complicated about setting them up or installing them

Sponsored Links
Nest don't do rad valves if you decide to scale up in the future.
Nest, Hive, Tado etc are all tech firms and the Google graveyard comes to mind..
Wiser, honeywell etc and heating companies so product support is likely to be much better.

Perhaps.

Also are ther any advantages over Nest ' Hive etc or cons for that matter.
The Hive Thermostat is battery powered so very easy to install anywhere you like, the nest thermostat requires a usb link to power the thermostat so you are limited where you can install it, you can buy a stand for the nest so it can sit next to a socket, or it is possible to use existing thermostat wires to power the nest, but it has to go where the old thermostat was

Cheers. Some reading for later then.

If you smart every Rad, zoning becomes defunct as every room now is its own zone.
You've a 2 zone system effectively (heating + HW) so this would suit you as it will change what is a macro zone (CH) to micro zones.

Smart controller linked systems don't need thermostats. Every room is its own thermostat via the rad valve.
Wiser do something "Smart" in that they make any thermostat you add to the system be the master over the rad valve. This is very handy if you have a TRV buried in the furniture. It effectively becomes a control valve with the thermostat doing the room monitoring.

Smart systems mean you can tuck away the controller as you really don't need access to it anymore. All the programing is done via the app and local boosting/cooling is done by interaction with the local rad valve. (Wifi signal depending).

Smart systems (excluding nest) can be invisible and don't need much in the way of wiring. In your case, the control would just be marshaling live to the boiler via the Y valve and thats it. No other stat wires required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back