Which soil pipe connector?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. Im hoping someone can advise me on how I can fit my toilet and waste to the old vertical soil pipe in the floor. I need to also fit my bath and basin waste into the soil pipe as there is no easy accessible drain.
The problem is the collar on the old pipe (is it clay or something else?) gets in the way and adds on too much height. I need the boss connector as low as possible for the fall on the bath.
I’ve added some photos to show what I mean. Any advice is appreciated!
Also, if anyone can confirm what the soil pipe is made out of that would be useful. The inner bit looks like it’s glazed clay but I can’t tell if the wider collar is attached to it and if that’s also clay as it looks like a different material. Can I remove any of the collar so I can reduce the height? That seems a risky move?

Attachments

• FC377FBC-C24C-4EFC-A72D-A377CC4FC32C.jpeg
    FC377FBC-C24C-4EFC-A72D-A377CC4FC32C.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 52
  • A20CF982-D0AA-42B8-B99A-7284700327EE.jpeg
    A20CF982-D0AA-42B8-B99A-7284700327EE.jpeg
    556 KB · Views: 46
  • B1D04889-7860-407F-B215-540207D9C142.jpeg
    B1D04889-7860-407F-B215-540207D9C142.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 48
  • F359BD47-8107-4029-988F-DD722E429101.jpeg
    F359BD47-8107-4029-988F-DD722E429101.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Chances are, the pipe is Salt Glazed stoneware, it's quite brittle, care is needed. Small angle grinder or Dremel will cut it, although it'll get a bit dusty, so try and keep it damped down, and wear suitable PPE. Collar has been filled with mortar to seal it around the original pan outlet.

If you cannot get a sufficient fall on the waste from the bath, then you will have no option but to look at an alternative method, either route the waste pipe elsewhere or the floor will have to be dug out, (carefully) around the drain to allow you to get a lower connection.
I'd also ditch that flexi pan connector, they are awful things, and let light through which attracts rats, looking for a way out the drainage system.

Do not attempt to fit the WC with any sort of uphill run on the soil pipe, as in your picture. You will have constant issues with the pan not clearing and/or blocking.

Reactions: CBW
Thanks. To confirm, can I grind some of the collar off so as to connect to the pipe lower down and therefore (hopefully) be able to fit to the toilet with the correct fall?
If I get a rigid 90 degree fitting then the bend takes up less space and it would be almost horizontal to the toilet so I only need to lower everything by 1/2 inch maybe.
I’m just nervous about touching the clay pipe! Will the adaptor I’ve got fit in the main pipe section of the clay or just the collar?

There should be no issue getting the fall from the bath with the boss connection where it is now and i need to go lower to fit the toilet in then I’ll have even more of a fall.

maybe just cut a slot in the side of the stoneware - to the floor so the side connection drops lower . Stuff the drop pipe with a rag or paper so bits don't go down into the drain

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I’m tempted to try a 92.5 angle connection and then either a rigid or flexi horizontal into the pan. I think I might lose some height as the flexi is quite a sweeping bend and is taking up a lot of space at the moment

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back