Which Tablet is best for me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to purchase my first Tablet and would like an honest opinion as to which is best for me. I have only tentatively looked at the apple IPad mini and IPad air as Apple are a good name for this type of thing. Can you tell me in laymen language what is the advantage of the Air over the Mini for the extra £100.

Sponsored Links
The air has a bigger screen and is lighter, that's about it from a layman's perspective.

I have used many tablets from many different manufacturers and I would always recommend iPads when asked by friends and family for the simple reason that they just work.

You can find an android or surface tablet that is cheaper/faster/lighter/bigger/smaller etc but the overall package is just a better solution with iPads.

Apple Stores are great and I would strongly recommend going to one and getting hands on with the various iPads to see which you prefer, there is no substitute for this.

Sponsored Links
The air has a bigger screen and is lighter, that's about it from a layman's perspective.

I have used many tablets from many different manufacturers and I would always recommend iPads when asked by friends and family for the simple reason that they just work.

You can find an android or surface tablet that is cheaper/faster/lighter/bigger/smaller etc but the overall package is just a better solution with iPads.

Apple Stores are great and I would strongly recommend going to one and getting hands on with the various iPads to see which you prefer, there is no substitute for this.
Thank you for your advise, i pretty much have the same opinion about Apple and go on what you pay for you usually get

You are to a certain extent, but no one else has the ability to control the entire supply chain so tightly to produce such a high quality product. But yes, you do pay for this.

You are to a certain extent, but no one else has the ability to control the entire supply chain so tightly to produce such a high quality product. But yes, you do pay for this.

Ok... i'll leave this conversation right now.

i have recently bought my missus a nexus 7 jobbie,nice bit of kit.

No one except other large companies who want to make a serious product.

Apple are nobody special.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S (8"). Better, and of course cheaper, than the over-rated, trendy Apple stuff!

You could go to a more independent high street retailer where you can compare tablets of various brands to see which suits you better.

If you have to ask "what tablet should I get", get an I-thingy.

Those who are more computer literate will know to get better, the main difference between apple and rival products, is rival products have a far greater compatibility with ancillary products (such as being able to stick extra storage memory in it).

You will either be completely happy and satisfied with an apple, or after a month you will be bitterly disapointed, mostly with the lack of storage space they have.

Thanks everyone for your advise it looks like I need to go to a couple of stores and have a sit down with their sales people. I liked the I Pad mini because of the size of the screen and it compactness . I see what you mean by paying for the storage as it gets quite expensive to match other cheaper brands for this, but they are either big and clumsy or small screens. As I wont be storing stacks of data on it as most of my stuff is stored on my desktop what would be the recommended amount of storage to look for.

Memory recommendations are difficult as it is really down to the individual. I personally would like to be able to expand the memory as my requirements increase/change.

With the Nexus you can buy a OTG cable which will allow you to connect a USB memory stick or card reader to add additional memory or even to backup you camera while travelling.
With many Android tablets they have a built in memory card slots (SD usually) which will allow this feature without increasing the device footprint.

What size screen would you like? This can be an easy way to narrow down your selection. The iPad Mini is 8" and there are Android options out there at this size - including the Samsung Galaxy Tab S as recommended by JBR.

Sponsored Links
Back