1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Texecom wireless PIR

Discussion in 'Alarms, CCTV & Telephones' started by PASUK, 6 Apr 2019.

1. PASUK

PASUK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi:

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on which Texecom PIR are typically and reliably used for different rooms. I understand the technical differences but in terms of matching up the right spec to the right room environment, that's still something I haven't figured out to avoid overspend.

My first install I used Elite QD sensors. They are brilliant and I've only since ever had one go faulty over many years and a few installations later.

I've installed my first wireless ricochet system last year, it was a kit which come with the more basic compact pw-w(ireless) PIRs. I expect to be fitting more of the wireless systems moving forward. The users of this install report that they are very happy with the system but I do wonder if the PIRs are effective. They seem to have worked on walk tests but I read some mixed opinions on forums. The Elite QD-W are much more expensive !

So... what do you all use and what do you find most reliable for different room environments on wired and wireless systems? Elite vs Compact and XT vs QD vs DT vs PW vs XT vs IR and I'm probably missing others!

Thanks again everyone!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. secureiam

secureiam

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No to PW's full stop, pet wise are designed to ignore things below a certain height approx. 1.2M

Compact wireless are marginally smaller than the normal range and have pcb aerials rather then proper aerials, where you may not notice the difference in many cases it may give you the edge in some locations.

QD-W all rooms except conservatories and garages or places a false alarm is more likely in which case a DT-W

either way no direct sunlight.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. PASUK

PASUK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Brill advice thanks @secureiam
    Question to finish this off then...
    The wireless kits Texecom bundle together (Kits 1,2,3,4 and 86) have such attractive price points but they all are PW-w PIRs!
    Only wireless kit 5 comes with QD-w and DT-w.
    Ordering a la carte is incredibly expensive by comparison to make up your own kit. Unless I am missing a trick?

5. secureiam

secureiam

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    LOL the kits many years ago weren't made up this way it was XT-W for the original kits.

I have complained and lobbied on there forum and others with no success.

Even asked the kit 5 to be an 88 or 64W as this would make kit 5 more attractive since the 64-W introduction.
    asked for 8 zones on the wireless panels to make upgrades from a Veritas easier too, but no such luck.

Buy a Kit 1-4 and flog the pw-w on ebay as someone will buy them from you and you will get a reasonable amount for them to ease the costs.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. PASUK

PASUK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks a lot.
    Out of interest... who would be the main trade suppliers for Texe kit? and I know this is a sensitive topic but is there a typical discount range for trade without giving too many specifics.
    I'm considering when/if I should try and do this properly rather than DIYer status. I'm technically competent, but I need to learn about regs and look into certification.
    Any advice from Secureiam or anyone else would be very much appreciated.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2019
  8. secureiam

secureiam

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Here in lies another installers problem even with high volumes you have to fight for trade discounts even small ones.

Some distributors that are trade only are more expensive than some prices you may see online, some suppliers don’t turn their stock over very quickly too, in some cases that means unless you know what the latest versions are you can get caught out.

So many end users want to do their own systems these days and not pay for a professional for various reasons. I am ready to go off on one so will stop.

9. PASUK

PASUK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OK I'll stop too. Thanks again for all your help.

• Like Like x 1
  10. secureiam

secureiam

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    lol your polite and always ask on here first, I will always do what I can to help on the forum.

Some weeks I get a lot of phone calls late on asking for foc advice, and it was getting very silly and pointed back to the public forums.

FOC advice on here in public forum, if I am interested in an issue I may offer to look at it foc in more detail.

That's one of the reasons my signature changed.

11. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local