1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Which thread sealant for Rayburn?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by DIYER96, 28 Sep 2021.

1. DIYER96

DIYER96

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I live in a very rural place in Scotland and am reasonably competent with most DIY. I'm replacing a very old solid fuel Rayburn with an almost new Rayburn SFW, the pipework is fine but I don't know which thread sealant to use with the male brass 1"BSI fitting for the steel female 1"BSI.

I removed the original fitting as it was an elbow which is not suitable. I've cleaned out the original female which had a lot of gunk in the threads which looked like white putty, possibly Boss White with PTFE tape.
    I've searched the forum but no joy, I've seen a lot of mention of Boss White & hemp, I have these but don't know how to use them. I see loctite 55 often, but am worried about damaging the threads, I watched the video, but once this is connected it will be difficult to deal with if a leak appears after filling with water. A dry run suggests the fit will be very tight, the bottom fitting has no visible thread, so I'm going by that.
    Can anyone advise please?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Loctite 55 will do it, and you'll struggle to damage the threads provided you don't get it cross threaded

• Like Like x 1
  4. DIYER96

DIYER96

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks very much for your reply.. :) after seeing it I've just looked for a more recent video than the first I'd seen, which says to roughen the thread enough for string to adhere to it, rather than hacking at it with a saw.