Is PTFE the only thread sealant ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am trying to fit a new pair of Bristan 1901 Globe bath taps. The instructions state :

"Globe taps are supplied with a threaded tube to be sealed into the tap body using a suitable thread sealant prior to connecting to pipework."

I have now fitted both taps twice using PTFE when screwing the threaded tube into the tap. First time I did 4 twists of PTFE and second time about 6 twists. Every time there has been a very slight leak from the thread of the tube from both taps.

I am starting to wonder whether a "suitable thread sealant" means something other than PTFE ? Or do I juct need more PTFE ? Any advice appreciated as I have never fitted a tap before !

Thanks

El B

Sponsored Links
you can use ptfe, but i havent used any in ages personally. I pretty much use nothing else but Loctite 55, which is not only better but easier to use.

you can use ptfe, but i havent used any in ages personally. I pretty much use nothing else but Loctite 55, which is not only better but easier to use.

agree with micky, it's quite expensive but worthevery penny

It's only a 3/4" thread that screws into the back of these taps - shouldn't be too difficult. You may need to use a few more turns. Without over-tightening, is it tight enough?

Are you turning it onto the thread clockwise, when viewing the thread from the end that screws into the tap? On this video, you can see what I mean, he winds the tape on clockwise.

Or, if it's turning into a bit of a mare, just bosh it with some LSX! :cool:

http://www.fernox.com/products/traditional+plumbing+products/jointing+compounds/ls-x

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back