Which type of RCBO fits this CU?

Yes, but an RCBO could be used to feed a number of MCB's, providing them all with RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
If your bathroom ceiling is more than 2.25m then the lights are outside of the zones. IMO, your installation is safer if you don't mess with it.
There is no requirement to bring older installations up to today's installation standards, even in rental properties.

Thanks - just re-read the regs, and thanks to your help I'm now satisfied that I dont actually need an RCD. So, I'll take your advice and leave everything alone.

If your bathroom ceiling is more than 2.25m then the lights are outside of the zones. IMO, your installation is safer if you don't mess with it. There is no requirement to bring older installations up to today's installation standards, even in rental properties.
True, but if there are non-RCD-protected final circuits in the room (even if outside of zones) does that not impose a requirement for supplementary bonding, in terms of both current and older regulations?

Kind Regards, John

True, but if there are non-RCD-protected final circuits in the room (even if outside of zones) does that not impose a requirement for supplementary bonding, in terms of both current and older regulations?

All my water pipes are plastic, so there isn't anywhere to fit supplementary bonding. How does that work?

Sponsored Links
All my water pipes are plastic, so there isn't anywhere to fit supplementary bonding. How does that work?
Plastic pipes obviously don't need bonding. Are there no metal-plumbed radiators (or metal waste pipes, albeit fairly rare these days) in the room?

Kind Regards, John

Are there no metal-plumbed radiators (or metal waste pipes, albeit fairly rare these days) in the room?

Ah, yes. There's a metal towel rail. Its only the thickness of the wall away from the external light switch. But its going to look very ugly getting an earth wire through the wall to it.

Is it acceptable to perform the earth bonding to the CH pipes to the towel rail under the floor using an earth from the downstairs lighting ring?

As I plan to rent the property, I need to the electrics to be certified.
I would have an electrical installation conditional report done first, then from that you will know what requires sorting out.
The lighting circuits have no RCD protection and bathroom lights were re-wired in 2011.
Then you should have an electrical installation certificate for that then, issued by the installer and certification of compliance from building controls.
But if there is no RCD protection on this lighting circuit, then it is highly likely to be non-compliant!
I have an IP65 rated shower light/fan combo over the bath/shower at 2.27m (if 2.25-3m over bath does that mean zone 2)
If above 2.25mm from floor of bathroom, then they are outside the zones.
and the rest of lights are outside of the zones. So I believe that to comply with Part P there must be an RCD on the upstairs lighting ring.
That would depend on the way circuit was wired, buried cable will almost always require RCD protections if not mechanically protected.
5A is all that's needed on the lighting ring, so would it be permissible to use a 16A RCBO.
The size of the cable and any de-rating factors of the method it which they were installed would require to be calculated, but I doubt a 16A devices on cable sized at 1.00mm would be acceptable, if any de-rating factors are applied.

The requirements or BS7671 state that bathroom circuits require RCD protection, so if this work was done in 2011 then RCD protection is a requirement. There is a grey area within part p with regards to the bathroom zones and notification but no mention within BS7671 that states that this would exclude RCD protection of equipment outside zones but still in bathrooms.

There is a grey area within part p with regards to the bathroom zones and notification
No there isn't.

The Building Regulations - The Law:

6A) A person intending to carry out building work in relation to which Part P of Schedule 1 imposes a requirement is required to give a building notice or deposit full plans where the work consists of—
(a)the installation of a new circuit;
(b)the replacement of a consumer unit; or
(c)any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.”;

“special location” means—
(a)within a room containing a bath or shower, the space surrounding a bath tap or shower head, where the space extends—
(i)vertically from the finished floor level to—
(aa)a height of 2.25 metres;
or
(bb)the position of the shower head where it is attached to a wall or ceiling at a point higher than 2.25 metres from that level; and
(ii)horizontally—
(aa)where there is a bath tub or shower tray, from the edge of the bath tub or shower tray to a distance of 0.6 metres; or
(bb)where there is no bath tub or shower tray, from the centre point of the shower head where it is attached to the wall or ceiling to a distance of 1.2 metres; or
(b)a room containing a swimming pool or sauna heater.”.

That's all there is.
That someone has decided to translate the simple into verbose complexity elsewhere is irrelevant.

My response with regards to BS7671 and RCD protection not notification procedures. But the op does state the circuit was re-wired 2011 and therefore notification would be required regardless.
Also the building regulations were worded differently in 2011 and outside zones, where not deemed non-notifiable within bathrooms. So should have then been notified!

My response with regards to BS7671 and RCD protection not notification procedures. But the op does state the circuit was re-wired 2011 and therefore notification would be required regardless.
Not necessarily.

Also the building regulations were worded differently in 2011
They were.

and outside zones, where not deemed non-notifiable within bathrooms. So should have then been notified!
Not so. It was just the same.

Items which were NOT notifiable then:

2. Work which—
(a)is not in a kitchen, or a special location;
(b)does not involve work on a special installation; and
(c)consists of—
(i)adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit, or
(ii)adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit.
3. Work on—
(a)telephone wiring or extra-low voltage wiring for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes, where the wiring is not in a special location;
(b)equipment associated with the wiring referred to in sub-paragraph (a);
(c)pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections.
4. For the purposes of this Schedule—
“kitchen” means a room or part of a room which contains a sink and food preparation facilities;
“self-contained” in relation to a fixed building service means consisting of a single appliance and any associated controls which is neither connected to, nor forms part of, any other fixed building service;
“special installation” means an electric floor or ceiling heating system, an outdoor lighting or electric power installation, an electricity generator, or an extra-low voltage lighting system which is not a pre-assembled lighting set bearing the CE marking referred to in regulation 9 of the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994(1);
“special location” means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, seventeenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2008(2).

Yes but no mention of the definition of the zones of the bathroom as there is now. Which would not have excluded the equipment as outside zones.

Yes but no mention of the definition of the zones of the bathroom as there is now. Which would not have excluded the equipment as outside zones.
Eh? What about....
“special location” means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, seventeenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2008(2).
?

Kind Regards, John

The work consisted of adding 4 IP rated lights and a light/fan above 2.25m, 3 12v lights in zone 1, and fitting switches and 12v transformer outside the room. This was all on the existing lighting ring.

The electrician's company also did the plumbing and carpentry, and fitted a chrome towel rail connected to copper CH pipes.

The 4 IP rated lights were not IP rated, there was no supplementary bonding on the towel rail, and no RCD on the lighting circuit. I was not given a certificate, not even a receipt. He ignores all complaints and has changed the name of his company again recently.

From this thread I gather that I either need supplementary bonding on the towel rail or an RCD.

For an RCD: As there are no RCBOs rated at 5A for this CU and not enough space nor busbars for an extra RCD, then it would need a whole new CU.
For supplemantary bonding: It would have to be accessible and so look ugly

Does SELV in zone 1 change things and make it notifiable and require RCD?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back