Which unvented tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do Ariston unvented tanks compare with a Megaflo? As the Ariston doesn't have a baffle like the Megaflo do you need to use an external expansion vessel?

I've seen a couple of posts about dripping Megaflo's, is this a known problem and do Ariston's have the same problem?

Sponsored Links
They use an external expansion vessel. They don't have any dripping problems, but nor do Megaflos if they are looked after.

I hope you know you can't fit one. (I also hope you are fairly well off, they are expensive to live with.

if you have a good mains pressure in your property you should opt for a Albion Thermal store.
They are cheaper, low maintenance and exempt from Building control

OIlman - Why "expensive to live with"? Once you've paid off the loan you needed to install the thing, that is?

Sponsored Links
If owners don't get someone to look at the cylinder every year, and they don't regenerate the air bubble, the overflow drips, eventually the valve won't seal and so needs replacing. The pressure regulator sometimes corrodes and so water leaks from the back end, replacing these can be expensive, especially when the pressure regulator was an old type, and is obselete.

Both these valves are much more expensive than a washer for a ballcock.

So there you have it, servicing and repair costs. (Oh, and the immersion heaters are expensive too).

Sounds like I might need to get the guitar down from the loft and start busking again!

Seriously though, i've got two bathroom (two baths and one shower) and a cloakroom (one shower), is there a combi that might do the job. Given that they don't all get used at the same time, except in the morning when everyone wants to brush their teeth. And before you ask we can't have a conventional system with tanks in the loft, because "we've" decided.

all combis suffer the same problem, reduced water flow in = reduced waterflow out

we have one, murder if i am in shower and mrs breezer turns on washing m/c (fills 50% with cold, 50% hot)

i've got two bathroom (two baths and one shower) and a cloakroom (one shower), is there a combi that might do the job

No. Since "we've" decided to go for the expensive solution, can we all come to your expensive switch-on celebration? You could have a big party for less cost than the water system.

Only from a personal not professional experience. I had a Megaflo in my last house, worked fine, was expensive, but not if you've got a 15mm water main.

A question for oilman,

What do you call expensive ???? What's a years running costs (including maintainance)

I'm looking a changing my current system and I thinking about installing an OSO
http://uk.osohotwater.no/Products/20_series/index.html

Anyone heard of them ???? Are they any good ???? Is this the same sort of thing as a megaflow system ???

Evofluff

EvoFluff said:
A question for oilman,

What do you call expensive ???? What's a years running costs (including maintainance)

I'm looking a changing my current system and I thinking about installing an OSO
http://uk.osohotwater.no/Products/20_series/index.html

Anyone heard of them ???? Are they any good ???? Is this the same sort of thing as a megaflow system ???

Evofluff

Not Oilman (obviously) but when I had my Megaflo put in 9 years ago, the tank itself was £700. The entire CH / water system was £4500 for a 2 bedroom cottage :eek: Why on earth I didn't change to rising main I don't know (probably run out of money!!)

AndyDavis said:
Sounds like I might need to get the guitar down from the loft and start busking again!

Seriously though, i've got two bathroom (two baths and one shower) and a cloakroom (one shower), is there a combi that might do the job. Given that they don't all get used at the same time, except in the morning when everyone wants to brush their teeth. And before you ask we can't have a conventional system with tanks in the loft, because "we've" decided.

You could have a look at some of the hybrid storage combis. The Ariston holds & heats 60L of hot water unvented. It is suitable for a multi bathroom house. I have no idea if they are any good or not but the reheat time & flow rates are impressive. I might worry about all that weight hanging off my wall though.

This would represent a significant saving over an unvented cylinder if you need a replacement boiler anyway. But, like I said I have no actual experience of them but I do have an Ariston combi which is pretty good for the small(ish) amount of money you pay for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back