Which Wallrock, which width?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone with experience please advise me which Wallrock (150, 150 smooth, Plus 180 or Premium 200) and which width (55, 75 or 100 cm) would be best for me in my situation in order to save me time and expense in trial and error? I’ve tried the Erfurt website, internet searches and searches here but found little info, and even that confuses me (eg specifications showing the smooth 150 being thicker than the Plus 180, which in turn is thicker than the Premium 200, whereas the numbers and cost lead me to expect the reverse).

@ Looking to put up one layer then emulsion on top. Ceiling and wall need not be same specification.
@ 1930s house with lath and plaster ceilings with numerous cracks that have been cut out and filled and walls that have suffered from wallpaper removal and have the odd repaired crack.
@ I last hung wallpaper 40 years ago so am in effect a complete amateur. I’ll watch lots of YouTube videos to prepare myself. I can work out which combination of widths will reduce waste but I have no idea how easy or difficult the different widths are to use
@ I’ll use the Wallrock adhesive.
@ The cost difference between the options is a minor consideration. I’m more interested in performance and ease of use.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Use roller to apply paste

I have in the past hung horizontal 2 x 1m width then a 75cm at the top, cut to fit.

The smooth is a better finish to paint but depending on what you want. If your just rolling on diy paint with thixotropic agent you may not get any advantage from the smooth wallrock. If you're using a better quality smother durable paint then you might be better with smooth wallrock.
The wide rolls give less joins to fiddle with either hanging vertical or horizontal.

As for thickness of paper how rough is surfaces? I sand and fill to help achieve smooth finish prior to paper

Thanks.

The surfaces aren’t too bad and I’ll be filling and sanding the worst bits. However, the wall has some patches of filler that has been crudely applied and is now rock solid and resistant to sandpaper; none of this was visible behind the previous wood chip and vinyl wallpapers, which I presume was the reason for the slapdash work.

Sponsored Links
I have never used the product but I get the impression that both the plus and premium offer smoother (and smoother) finishes rather than being thicker than each others (but, yeah, their website is not clear and I may be wrong).

Wallrock Fibreliner Plus 180, for those wanting more strength and smoothness than Fibreliner whilst retaining a tactile slightly fibrous finish to the surface.

and

The carefully selected textile fibres and high quality pulp ensure that this product is able to cope with high traffic areas. (The Premium 200)

The wider the paper, the fewer the number of joins but you may end up with more wastage. Most places seem to only sell the 55cm options. If you think that you may make errors, the 55cm might be the better option. BTW many of their papers seems to be "apply inner face of the paper to the wall".

I guess you could email them and ask for clarification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back