Which water cylinder ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to change my current boiler to a condensing system boiler, and wanted some advice on which type of water cylinder to go for. I currently have an old primatic cylinder but was looking at getting a simple 140l indirect copper cylinder for around £170, but I have noticed you can get bigger aluminium water cylinders like the Ultrasteel Unvented Cylinder at a much greater cost of around £700. Given they come with a larger water capacity and i'll need it as I have a large family and the fact you get a 25 year guarantee, is it worth investing in such a cylinder ? and are they compatible with a system boiler ?

Some advice and thoughts would be very welcome. Thanks

Sponsored Links
you can get bigger copper ones too if thats your only concern and also stainless indirect cylinders which will have a longer life like an unvented.
Also look for high recovery rates, that way the volume of the cylinder becomes less of a problem, as it will be reheated quickly after use.
As for unvented, yes it is a good option but there are many factors that need to be considered. Firstly it runs directly of your mains, so unless you have an adequate mains supply you will not see any benefit. Secondly it must be installed and commissioned by an unvented qualified engineer due to safety aspects of storing heated water under pressure.
Personally I would and have unvented, if you have a decent mains supply you can achieve a great flow rate to your outlets, no need for shower pumps etc.

don't forget the F & E and extra pipework instalation that will be required to change from a single feed primatic to a normal indirect cylinder. But if you go for unvented then this is not required and you will hae an expansion vessel instead!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back