which way do I turn the valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a new house. I have a sealed system that requires topping up. I have found the top valve. It is on a 3-way T-bar (not sure if that is the right term) shown below connecting 3 pipes together:

| |
| |
___| v| ___

The hand turned valve (like a little lever) is represented above by "v". It is currentlly pointing downward is this open or closed? Do I turn it clocwise ("<") to open it? It won't turn anticlockwise (">"). Is there a ope/close rule for these levers?

thanks

tom

Sponsored Links
IanDB said:
Do you mean something like this //www.diynot.com/shop/Plumbing/Plumbing_Brassware/FULL_BORE_LEVER_BALL_VALVE_15MM/6416 ?

If the lever is at right angles to the pipe the valve is closed. Once the lever is in line with the pipe it is open i.e. 1/4 of a turn. If it will only turn clockwise then that's the way to turn it.

But DON'T PRESSURISE YOUR SYSTEM UNTIL YOU GET IT CHECKED.

Why does it need to be checked?

He has indicated that it needs to be filled, and he has asked what valve position is closed.
The reply was accurate, that it is open when inline with the pipe, and closed at right angles.

There are no other problems indicated, and it should be an, er..., open and shut case.

Sterose, read his other post re dripping expansion pipe. You'll see why.

Sponsored Links
IanDB said:
Do you mean something like this //www.diynot.com/shop/Plumbing/Plumbing_Brassware/FULL_BORE_LEVER_BALL_VALVE_15MM/6416 ?

If the lever is at right angles to the pipe the valve is closed. Once the lever is in line with the pipe it is open i.e. 1/4 of a turn. If it will only turn clockwise then that's the way to turn it.

But DON'T PRESSURISE YOUR SYSTEM UNTIL YOU GET IT CHECKED.

No. The one you indicate connects two pipes the connector I refer to connects 3 pipes (like a T-bar). My diagram didn't come out properlly because initial spaces on a line are deleted in the posting. So to put it in words. Using the analogy of a tree with two branches at right angles to the trunk. The open/close lever is currently inline with the tree trunk NOT with branches. So, I think what you are saying is that in this position (ie inline with the tree trunk) the connector is closed. Giving it a quarter turn (so that it is inline with the two branches) opens it. That riight? Thanks alot for your help here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back