Whinging bint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/4471851.stm

She added that the times she started and finished work made it difficult to find a child minder and that there was no room at home for a live-in nanny.

Oh you poor, poor thing. Yes, I am sure that parents across the country really feel your pain, the reason you don't have a live-in nanny is because there isn't enough room. Tart.

I am certainly going to feel really safe on planes knowing that it might be piloted by an inexperienced part-timer :rolleyes:

I bet suffragette Emily Davison would be REALLY GLAD that she threw herself in front of a horse in her pursuit of sexual equality, if she knew that equality would mean that women like this could get the same job as men, and then have the right to complain about the hours. Yeh, great. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Ah, ha .. So tis happening there too !!

I think the NHS could be heading for trouble in that dept. too, if night shift premia are removed ('Agenda for Change' I believe) and PT'ers are all demanding 'hours to suit family' then who will staff the wards overnight ?
I have witnessed the shortsightedness of this move in industry ... people choose permanent ('temporary' is PC) nights, if available, because it fits their lifestyle and / or for the extra dosh ... When the n/s premium disappeared, the 'permanent volunteers' went with it ... Not so bad with permanent workforce, the possibility of n/s is usually somewhere in contract (in manufacturing and some service business too, no doubt) .. Of course one then has an unhappy, therefore perhaps inefficient workforce ... Bought trouble without spending a dime - good management that -- Still, tis the UK ! :cool: :cool: :rolleyes:

what's the problem? it's a good thing to get back to family values, it's not right for young children to be brought up by strangers when the early years are all about bonding and security for the littleun's
today society worships work and money as gods no wonder things have deteriorated.
i'm all for women(mothers) staying at home not from a sexist point of view but the fact that they are naturals as mothers they have the caring instinct and are best qualified as to looking after children.
what's more important for human society, neglected children and a fancy car and house or well brought up and loved children brought up in an environment that doesn't enforce monetary or possession culture on them.
children today are terribly spoilt it's no wonder it's so hard for some parents to keep them under control.

But the issue isn't about whether she stays at home or not. She wants to go against the airlines stated safety policy which is a different issue. I agree she should stay at home and look after her child, if an airline pilot can't afford to keep a wife and family, what chance the rest of us? They are just being greedy by wanting her salary too.

Sponsored Links
Oh, I'm all for family values. What gets me is the "I want it ALL!" attitude.

The woman has a job where she is well aware of the necessity to keep her flight hours up. She knew that when she started her career. When she married her husband, she knew he too kept unsociable hours for those 4 days a week he worked. No problem.

But, when the little stick turned blue they came to a crossroads. She could either carry on with her job and the couple could use some of their frankly quite adequate salary to buy in some parenting, or she could find herself a new job (or take a hiatus) to give her adequate time for the child. Sure, they might need to move to a smaller house and only have the one Range Rover, but I am pretty certain that BA pilots are in no danger of starving.

I am pretty sure heavily pregnant women aren't meant to fly, so BA have almost certainly been pretty decent already and given her more maternity leave than the law dictates.

Now, if she was an office worker, or even a bus driver, I don't think that there would be a problem with her working 50% of full-time. However, when you are flying a pressurised cigar-case at 600mph with 300 lives on board, you better be keeping well-practiced!

A pilot friend of mine (and father of 4) was livid when he read this, so far to say that the court's correct response would have been to place the child with the social services due to neglectful parents (her mother seems to think career is more important than her) :eek:

david and julie said:
But the issue isn't about whether she stays at home or not. She wants to go against the airlines stated safety policy which is a different issue. I agree she should stay at home and look after her child, if an airline pilot can't afford to keep a wife and family, what chance the rest of us? They are just being greedy by wanting her salary too.

I agree with you 100%. My parents managed to bring up 3 kids on the salary of one teacher, and we didn't get free flights anywhere in the world for our holidays...

i think it is what i was saying that they are so set in their ways and work is the most important thing to them it has sort of blinded them to what parenthood is all about.
when i first became a parent work could have gone out the window for all i cared, i couldn't wait to get home to hold my baby daughter and actually begrudged work interfering in that goal, funny how children can change your values and outlook on life.
for them to contemplate getting a nanny in the first place infers that the child is second place to work, very strange.

AdamW said:
david and julie said:

I agree with you 100%. My parents managed to bring up 3 kids on the salary of one teacher, and we didn't get free flights anywhere in the world for our holidays...
but you had the bonus of parent having long(school) holidays with you ;)

I can understand to a degree, the situation that she faces. She can't take a break for a few years as this would mean that her licence would lapse. So she needs to keep up the hours.

Could the husband not also reduce his hours so he could participate in looking after his child???

Aren't BA pilots on about £80k a year? If they are living in a two bed flat, they must be poor budgeters!!!

It's no wonder that industry has failed in this country now though. It must be incredibly difficult as an employer that that people have so many rights and expectations from their employers. There most be many people out there wanting to take staff on but petrified of the cost implacations! Even before you take an employee on you have to be careful that you haven't discriminated against someone!!!

kendor said:
but you had the bonus of parent having long(school) holidays with you ;)

Totally! :D I do feel privileged that half terms, school holidays etc were spent with parents. 4 weeks camping in France every summer has got to be better for the soul than 5 days in Disneyworld... although I doubt I would have believed it at the time :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The interesting thing is, pretty much every male friend of mine who is married or engaged, is married or engaged to a teacher! Perhaps there is some primeval instinct to marry teacher women? :LOL:

mildmanneredjanitor said:
Aren't BA pilots on about £80k a year? If they are living in a two bed flat, they must be poor budgeters!!!

All I know is, there is a couple on my parents' road where the husband is a BA pilot, they live in a £500K house and have a couple of £40K cars... Like I said, they are unlikely to starve! :LOL:

Also, note that the story was from BBC Dorset... I know that with Dorset being lovely as it is, it is hardly going to be cheap. But surely a couple of people on considerable salaries would have a more than adequare standard of living in Dorset?

You know what irritated me most about the story last night on the news: she's pregnant again!.
so, started training as pilot, becoming pregnant, having maternity leave, starting as a pilot again (on 75% hours), wanting 50% hours, fighting in court, get's her way without having the necessary safety hours flying, pregnant again, going on maternity leave again.....

I'm all for family live, parents charing the caring at home and not to take work as the ultimate live goal, but hang-on a minute here.
This is the ultimate rubish in Employment law, even taken the micky at of it. And that with a higher wages than the normall family has. Shame on her!

Could the husband not also reduce his hours so he could participate in looking after his child???
Must agree with you there MMJ, why couldn't a judge or for that matter the couple take this practical approach? I'll bet she was also after her hours being whilst her husband was working, so they could be off together. Two Pilot's could afford to buy a nanny a flat if they were that short of room, which I doubt anyway.
You know what irritated me most about the story last night on the news: she's pregnant again!.
Missed that WoodYouLike, what a P*** take. I hope the airline wins the appeal.

There may be more to this than meets the eye !!

Two pilots, same company obviously well off, very probably well regarded in BA, the law is a pigs ear, another load of rubbish which has to be 'tested' in court ... lawyers get rich etc, etc.
I am wondering if there is a bit of collusion here ... Get this ridiculous situation resolved with a ruling for the company, lady off on maternity leave .. possibly not to fully return.
Could be pushing the law for a decision which will carry over to all other Pilots either through the lodged appeal or the fact that 'The air safety regulator is now to consider placing new restrictions on inexperienced pilots after the sex-discrimination victory by Jessica Starmer, 26. British Airways'
That is precisely what BA and the other airlines want ..... watch this space. .. there is more in heaven and earth than simplicity .. etc
0,,194772,00.jpg

P :evil: :evil: ;)

kendor said:
what's the problem? it's a good thing to get back to family values, it's not right for young children to be brought up by strangers when the early years are all about bonding and security for the littleun's
today society worships work and money as gods no wonder things have deteriorated.
Don't you think if Brown stopped raising taxes so the partner wouldn't have to work to look after kids instead?

I know this because my wife used to be a childminder.

Sponsored Links
Back