Whirlpool bath wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just ordered a whirlpool bath which will need wiring. I don't know the rating at the moment so let's assume for the moment that it could be plugged into an ordinary 13A socket. Obviously I don't want to plug it in, it needs wiring in. What I'd like to do is run a cable from a nearby socket (on a ring) which is on the wall outside the bathroom, run it up and over the door, via an unswitched (or should it be user-switchable?) fuse, then on to the bath.

Where should I put the fusebox? Someone suggested putting it on the wall under the bath so it's accessible by taking the side panel off the bath. Is that ok? If not, how about above the door which is close to, but away from, the bath? Actually, thinking about it, it would be in reach of somebody standing in the bath so perhaps that's not such a good idea! In that case I could put it on the outside wall of the bathroom instead - same place above the door and it would be next to the extractor fan switch.

Thanks. It will get checked by a qualified sparky but I want it right before he comes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. It will get checked by a qualified sparky but I want it right before he comes.
Once again, you imply sparks wont do it right.

And once again, like your downlighters this work is very notifiable to your local LABC under part P of the building regulations. Once again, THEY will send a spark to inspect. You should only need to pay one fee for both jobs.

Once again, you imply sparks wont do it right.

And once again, like your downlighters this work is very notifiable to your local LABC under part P of the building regulations. Once again, THEY will send a spark to inspect. You should only need to pay one fee for both jobs.

Once again, no that is not what I'm implying (in fact I fail to see how that could be implied except perhaps by an electrician starved of jobs). I'm just a moderately-capable DIY-er who likes to things himself but in an authorised way. I don't see why I should *have* to pay for things that I can legally do myself, hence the "getting it checked" bit to cover the legal status and cutting the cost.

Yes, I plan to get both the downlighters and bath inspected at the same So with that out of the way, any comments on the techniques?

Assuming the bath requires 13A or less (highly likely), it should be connected to a fused connection unit. This could be switched or unswitched.

Above the door is possible. It could go inside the bathroom or outside.
It could go under the bath, but this would mean removing the panel if/when the fuse needs to be replaced.

The circuit will require RCD protection (as will the downlighters). Supplementary bonding may be required.
If the cables are going to be concealed in the walls, they will need to be installed in safe zones.

As for Part P, you have 2 choices:
1. Have a member of a competent persons scheme do all of the work.
2. Notify you local building control and pay the relevant fee before any work starts.

Sponsored Links
As for Part P, you have 2 choices:
1. Have a member of a competent persons scheme do all of the work.
2. Notify you local building control and pay the relevant fee before any work starts.
To re-iterate, Part P is a statutory document - it is the law as far as this work goes.

So you havent got wires running here there and everywhere, put a switched fused spur outside the door, at socket level.

I apologise if I came across as harsh, in fact I'm not a spark, just know my stuff.

Ok, so I (now) realise I have to inform the local authority *before* I start work on either project. The bath isn't arriving until June anyway so hopefully I can get the initial stuff out the way. I'll ring them on Monday to find out what I need to submit.

So I need both a fuse unit AND an RCD? Is something like this suitable?
http://www.astra247.com/4670/Electrical-Accessories/RCD-Spur-or-Fused-Connection-Unit13A-Fuse/White/ (again, I'll check ratings when I know them)

No problems, Steve. I don't want to electrocute my wife in the bath. Think of the damage to the house that would cause... :evil:

is the socket circuit RCD protected now?

If not, then yes you need an RCD. You can get RCD/FCU combi.

So you havent got wires running here there and everywhere, put a switched fused spur outside the door, at socket level.

Forgot to reply to this bit. The box would go somewhere along the cable's path - be it next to the existing socket, above the door, or behind the bath. So - unless these safe zones dictate otherwise - there shouldn't be any odd cable runs just to fit the box in.

is the socket circuit RCD protected now?

If not, then yes you need an RCD. You can get RCD/FCU combi.

All the ring mains are each RCD protected in the consumer unit. So if I don't *need* one in that case then I assume it's down to me to decide whether the bath tripping causes the whole ring to go or just the extra RCD just for the bath.

Geoff,

It doesn't work like that...

Imagine having 2 x 3A fuses protecting an item of equipment,,, if there was a fault then which one would blow???

It's the same with RCD's, if you have 2 x 30mA RCD's and an earth fault occurs then there is no saying which one will trip..

in fact the one protecting the ring is more likely to blow before the one protecting the bath due to other leakage currents already on the circuit... whereas the bath one only has the bath leakage current to measure..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back