Whirlpool Dishwasher not filling: error F4 E4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I inherited a Whirlpool ADG 8410 FD dishwasher which won't fill. It has been turned off for a long time, disconnected from water which I guess could have caused the problem. Now with the water turned on, selecting a program causes it to hum briefly, click rhythmically for about 10 seconds, then repeat this a few times until it beeps with the error code F4 E4 on its LED panel. No water enters the machine. If I chuck water in, after all this, it is pumped out.

I can't find a proper manual for this specific model - the "quick guide" only mentions other error codes. However, service manuals for other Whirlpool ADG dishwashers say F4 means a drain failure. That's weird because as I said it pumps out water fine.

So unless someone can advise what this error code means I'm wondering if this line with no proper manuals has some different meaning and it's actually an inlet failure. As far as I can tell, the optical water level switch is clear of crud (though the tub is *not* - there's quite a lot of crusty crud at the front edge) so presumably it's not that. I haven't been able to pull the machine out, and without a diagram for this unit I'm not really sure where anything is either. Any ideas for next steps?

Sponsored Links
I don't know the error code, but it is very common for dishwashers to refuse to fill when they detect a leak.

You are going to have to pull yours out from the wall and look underneath.

Tilt it backwards (not forwards) and the leak-catching-dish may have water in it that spills out.

Also clean out the sump and filters in case there is congealed food or broken glass.

Thanks, guess that's the weekend project then. There is no water in the drip pan - I can see that without pulling it out, however there is some limescale on it, so there's been water leaking in the past. Not much though. I will try and pull it out and take things apart to clean.

Making slow progress - I've got it pulled out, which was easier than expected. I targeted the inlet valve first since there doesn't seem to be any water entering at all (but it makes noises so presumably is trying to do something). Unfortunately that valve is in the middle of the back panel which also supports the caster which holds the unit up, so it's extremely awkward to work with. The valve itself seems to be integrated into a plastic rectangle that fits into a cut-out in the panel. I'm having a real fight trying to get it out to inspect and clean (and maybe replace) - even after getting the ear clamp off, the hose running into the machine from the valve doesn't want to come off.

Advice/moral support welcome. I'll continue yanking at it.

Update: I've managed to manually actuate the float switch and trigger a different error, so I don't think it's that.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have got the circulation pump out and it's completely seized. That's the cause identified at least, but I don't know if I'll buy a replacement motor or replacement dishwasher, or try to crack open the motor and work out what's wrong.

If someone could run over the possible causes of a stuck motor (there is no play at all when I try and turn the impeller by hand) that might help.

EDIT: The bottom bearing of the motor is completely rusted up. I've ordered a replacement motor second hand (since the machine is not exactly new something else will probably break first).

The O-ring doesn't look bad so I'm not sure what allowed water in. Curiously the cover plate (which seals against that O-ring) kinda looks like it could be mesh rather than solid plastic but that seems ridiculous.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back