Whirlpool Easytronic Freezer relay clicking problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My freezer has started making a clicking sound about a week ago. It happens about 50 percent of the time, ie sometimes it is fine, and sometimes it does this clicking/flashing. It might stop and start say 5 times a day. Sometimes the clicking is slower. The freezer is in an outside shed, and sometimes gets condensation on the outside of it.

Here is a video of what is happening...........

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LWJL_Bm1zI

cut and paste if the link didnt work, I don't know how to use the editor too well :oops:

I have switched it off for about 12 hours, turned it back on, and it returned to the normal temperature setting, but carried on doing this clicking routine. It sounds like it is a relay behind the LED display.

Any ideas what this is?, what is causing this?, or better how to put it right???

Thanks in advance,
Mr Clickyfreezer[/url]

Sponsored Links
Just to let anyone who might be interested know. It has stopped clicking, and seems to work OK. It would appear that it was the condensation which was causing the problem, and its OK now its dried up.

Bit of a thread hijack.........I've exactly the same problem with my Whirpool Electronic Freeze, it went away briefly when I defrosted it a few weeks ago but it has now returned and has resulted in me having to move the freezer from the kitchen to the garage as it's so noisy.

The Scottish Power store managed to shut down before they could send me the user instructions which were missing from the packaging and despite looking all over it I can't find a model no. to order one from Whirlpool. They want £79.95 + VAT to to come and look at it plus any spare parts are extra so it may
be cheaper to go and get a new one. Annoying as it's only 18 months old !!!
This morning the alarm bell also started sounding intermittently with the display showing SF (or maybe 5F).

Any ideas welcome as it's full of food !!!

Hi,
You're more than welcome to join the thread!. My freezer has started clicking again. I suspect it is because we've had a wet summer, and it is out in the shed. It sometimes starts getting warmer because the pump isn't on, and then the beeping alarm starts. Turning it off and on cures this, and it starts working again, but I wouldn't be so lucky if I went away for a few days.

Have you got any further to fixing your problem?.

Sponsored Links
Just looking through the forum to find any info on the clicking that has just started on my Whirlpool freezer-any suggestions as to how to cure it?

The freezer finally stopped working, so I took the front off, found the relay, and found it to be faulty. I replaced it with a new relay, and it started doing the clicking routine again. My solution was to desolder the relay to make sure the freezer didnt make a racket all the time, and I fitted a 'RANCO TYPE VL5 VS5' universal thermostat, which can be bought off ebay cheaply. This works a treat, and the temperature display/alarm part of the original circuitry still works, and the new thermostat controls the compressor :) Hope this helps someone.......

My Easytronic has just started clicking a couple of weeks ago and the noise is coming from behind the temperature display.

Cyaniron, (or anybody else that has had this problem and been able to fix it), would it be possible to post step by step instructions as to how you dismantled the display, desoldered the relay, and installed the new thermostat? My DIY skill set is limited sans detailed instructions...

Tools you need:
ratchet 1/4"
socket long 8mm
desoldering wire or desoldering pump
soldering iron
solder
side cutter
electrolytic capacitors:
16V 1000uF 85deg
25V 100uF 85deg
50V 10uF 85deg

"Any ideas what this is?, what is causing this?, or better how to put it right?"
This is what i think that happened
1. microcontroller wakes up after reset
2. measures temperature and if it is below set point the compressor may turn off.
2a. Relay will give power to compressor if coil is not powered.
2b. temp is below so turn off compressor -> give current to relay coil.
3. coil will take current but drayed electrolytic capacitors aren't giving current so controller will be reseted
4. back to step one.

solution replace the dried up capacitors.
16V 1000uF 85deg
25V 100uF 85deg
50V 10uF 85deg

I changed those to
25V 1000uF 105deg
25V 100uF 105deg
100V 10uF 105deg
cost 3€

My fridge is from 2003 and worked well 10yrs. ten years is lifetime of decent electrolytic, bad ones will dry out in weeks.

"would it be possible to post step by step instructions as to how you dismantled the display..."

Under the plastic where display is there are small plastic hatch. Pull that out. Under hatch there is phillips screw and in hinge side there is another.
To get hingeside hatch opened remove lower hinge and door.
1. Remove plastic front of lower hinge by pullin it outwards.
2. remove leg (screw it out).
3. remove 3 screws from hinge(socket long 8mm + ratchet 1/4")
4. slide door down don't loose plastic ring from upper hinge.
5. open hatch and remove screw.
6. pull display unit up and out and flip it over fridge.
7. time to pull plug out from wall.
8. disconnect board from fridge
9. release center latch from PCB
10. gently bend PCB to release it from plastics.
11. use same mehod to plastic base.
12. desolder components. Make sure that new capacitors are same way than old ones (marked side is "-").

I hope this help someone.
r:pasi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back