Whirlpool W120 Washing Machine Will Not Spin Dry?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Whirlpool W120 will not spin, it just continues at a slower speed pumping out the water but not spinning until the timer reaches the stop position. I cannot hear any clicking noise for the spin to start. I have repaired plenty of faults on the machine in the past, so I am willing to have another go before I scrap it. I have repaired a bad solder joint on the PCB when the drum just would not rotate at all, I have also replaced broken wires when the heater would not work and it was stopping shortly after the start of the program. I also replaced the motor bushes when I had the bad joint on the PCB, the brushes are about a year old. These repairs were possible with great advice from this and other forums. I was going to check the PCB and look for anymore damaged wires when I take the machine apart again. I was wondering is there anything else to check. The pump is working fine and the filter is not blocked. There is no water left in the drum but the washing is extremeley wet. Does the pressure switch for the drum level have anything to do with the spin? I have also read something about a motor speed controller that can often fail?? It appears to be filling and emptying correctly, just not spinning. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I am fairly sure that the pressure switch will play a part in determining whether the motor goes into spin mode as that is what tells the machine when all the water has been pumped out, you may have a blockage in the pressure switch tube which is often easily cleared by removing the tube from the switch & blowing down it until you hear the air either bubbling in the water in the pump or escaping into the empty pump. Similarly the switch can be tested for actuation by blowing into it until it clicks (some maachines have a 2 position switch, so 2 clicks & some 3). You also need to check continuity of the switch with a multi meter

Cheers thanks for the advice. On closer inspection I found that the drum was actually not spinning at all again. I took the machine to bits and found a broken wire. Fixed the broken wire and everything is fine again :D

Sponsored Links
I have a whirlpool w120 washer. its quite old but is a great washer. when it comes to the final spin it will spin fine, then the programmer clicks to go on to 1200 spin an the machine comes to a stop. the pump stays on as it dose when the washer is on spin but the drum comes to a stop. any ideas of what to look for or try out coz i cant really afford a new washer at the moment, cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back