Whirlpool washer no spin - clutch problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, and thanks for the great information on fixing stuff for myself! Searching through previous posts has been very helpful, but I have not seen exactly the same problem.

Our Whirlpool washer (model# LSR8444LQ0) has developed a problem where the drum won't start spinning with a load of clothes. If I give it a push it will go, but slowly, and leave the clothes very wet. And if I test it without a load at all, it will spin at what appears normal speed, but it is very easy to slow it with my hand.

At first I thought this may be a slipping belt, but there isn't one! (I guess this is one of the direct-drive models?) Would the problem then be the clutch, requiring replacement? If so, it looks like the part is not too expensive, but how hard is that to change?

Thanks again for all!

Sponsored Links
Don't know if you've a clutch or not, but the first thing I'd always check is the brushes in the motor (assuming it has brushes?). This is primarily a forum for European equipment, so if your model isn't sold over here you probaly won't get a very good response.

The following URL gives you the breakdown of the machine into parts (exploded view)

The drive from the motor is passed through a rubber and nylon coupling 'Item 13 on the Brake Clutch Gearcase drawing'

This coupling does wear and is quite easy to replace (you quite often get a burning rubber smell though but you can check from under the machine by tipping it back against a wall when unplugged)

'Item 5 on the Brake Clutch Gearcase drawing is a clutch assembly for the paddle'

I am not too sure with US machines as I have not worked on too many Whirlpool top loaders over here but hope it gives you a pointer'

The only other time I have had a similar problem was the motor speed controller having failed 'Item 20 on the Brake Clutch Gearcase drawing'

http://www.partselect.com/AdvancedModelSearch.aspx?ModelNum=LSR8444LQ0&mfgModelNum=&fkMfgID=3

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back