Whirpool AW0/D 5516 drain hose question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

The end of the world as we know it may be near, but before that happens I need to fix my washing machine. I don't believe we'll get free appliance service tomorrow ;)

I was cleaning my washing machine after.. ahem.. couple of years of neglect and need to put the drain hose back now. In the pump end it's no problem, but at the other end there's also a plastic ball/cork and another rubber ring. Can someone please tell me or guide me to a drawing how or in which order these bits need to be put together to ensure water is flowing in the right direction and only when needed?

The hose was so much full of muck that the two aforementioned bits were loose in the hose when I took it off.

Thank you all in advance!

Taavi

Sponsored Links
You mean the sump hose between the pump & tub?
The ball goes in first & the rubber ring sits above it. I normally throw just them away, it doesn't make much difference. The eco-ball is only there to make the most of your washing powder, but it can double as a non-return valve (in the very unlikely event of of dirty water entering the machine via the drain hose).

Thanks @zipper!

Found a youtube video where a bloke describes cleaning the discharge hose and the important bit for me is this screenshot.

Also, how often these hoses should be cleaned / replaced?

They sump hose rarely needs cleaning & only needs replacing if it gets holed. But you should avoid using low temp cycles as much as possible & run a maintenance wash on the highest temp with a suitable cleaner or white vinegar every month or so (without washing in there of course). It helps stop gunge & a smelly washer etc. Like I said I normally just dump the things it doesn't make any noticeable difference.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back