Whirpool AWM 029

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The above machine is about 8 years old,and is used quite heavily,had no probs,apart from sometimes not draining properly,cured by cleaning out the filter at the base of the machine.
The other half said that the machine started stopping before the end of the cycle,so i duly cleaned out the filter,and removed the usual £1.85 or so.
Now it stops at the filling stage,if i turn it off,then on again,it fills a bit more,and so on,until its full,then the program knob turns a bit,and it stops again,this time turning it off,and on again,doesnt do anything.
Anyone know what the fault is,or what i should be looking for?
TIA

Sponsored Links
No,but im not sure if it ever has done,ive never watched it.

It's part of the self test routine.
I'd have a look at the motor carbons as a starting point.

Sponsored Links
Rightio,ill have a look tomorrow,ive sussed out that the pump is working ok,as turning the program knob to the appropriate point,empties the machine.I was worried that there may be a blockage (another coin somewhere)but checking the waste pipe outside reveals a good (normal )flow into the drain.Thanks for the info.

Sleepyhead,i have today removed the motor,and blown a lot of black dust from it with my air line,the armature was very dirty,and i have cleaned it with some very fine W&D paper with WD40,i noticed it seemed to have a wear ridge of approx 0.25mm.
Upon inspecting the brushes,i found one in reasonable nick,but the other had very little free length left,and as such was barely touching the armature.
Based on the above info (i know you havent seen it) would you still suspect the brushes to be at fault?i suppose for the price of a pair of brushes i might as well suck it and see.
Can you reccomend anywhere to get parts,im in Kent.
Many thanks.

Before buying brushes check to see if this model has a small pcb in a plastic cradle down the inside of the right hand side front of the machine and post back.

I have already bought the brushes,they,or at least one was worn,and barely making contact with the armature.For the sake of £8 (ifound a set)im going to eliminate them first.
I will post back, A) whether it was the brushes,and B)the answer to your question.

If there was little or no movement of one of the carbons then it's likely that it's just worn carbons.
4 versions of this machine, looks to be an integrated design with decor door and no sign of a seperate pcb for motor control on the parts diagrams.

Yes its the fully integrated version with cabinet door that fixes to it.

New brushes cured it,seems a bit noisy now with clicking noise which is related to motor speed,do carbons take time to bed in?

Thanks for the earlier advice :)

Check the motor where the brushes touch it. You may find a raised segment or the angle of the brush is the opposite of the original.
If it's a raised segment I'm afraid it's a new motor required.

Ive looked at the motor again,and yes it looks like there are a couple of raised segments,i dont quite know how this has happened? but it must have been what wore out the original brushes,although there was no noise before.
So it looks like a new motor then,but first a couple more questions...
Can i continue to use the machine with the old (noisy) motor refitted,i know it will expire again,but in the meantime am i risking any further damage should the segments move further? typically what causes them to move,and can they come out completely?as that would be a big bang

The machine is about 8 years old and is used nearly every day,im wondering whether its better to put the £100 or so for a motor into a new machine?
Thanks again.

Oh dear, the motor has had it. Possibly caused by the carbons wearing out, machine still being used and heat being generated from the worn carbons.
The carbons won't last long, the motor will get hot and it's life will be shortened. It's possible that it could damage the timer / pcb.
However, it's 8 years old, it owes you nothing so I see no reason why you shouldn't run it till it does go bang.
I think it's Argos that's doing a Whirlpool for under £200 if you want to try them again. John Lewis own brand with 3 year warranty under £300 (last time I looked).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back