Whistling Glow Worm 24cxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise the likely cause of this please? It only occurs in heating mode (not water) after the bolier has been running for a few minutes.

I wondered if it was a pump problem as it doesn't occur when heating water, but it doesn't sound mechanical.

The boiler is just out of warranty(!) and from the info I have found, is really too small for our three bedroom detatched house, but not sure if this has anything to do with the problem.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Pump is used for heating and hot water.

Could be the gas/air ratio has gone out on the minimum setting, or in fact never chcked and set up at installation.

I come across very few of thse boilers that have had the minimum rate CO2 set correctly, or even the max rate come to that.

The minimum, I have found, usually runs way too high.

When the boiler is on for HW it will be running at max, so the minimum settings will not apply.

If it occurs when the boiler is coming up to heat then thats when its modulating back.

If the mixture is weak then most boilers make a droning or a foghorn noise.

Any good installer would have used a flue gas analyser ( FGA ) to check the settings when commissioning and at the annual services. Easier than setting up a UHF klystron.

I would guess that your boiler has never been checked at all.

What does your installer say?

I would class him as not properly equipped to install or service boilers if he does not have an FGA ( or know how to use it properly ). Was he even CORGI registered?

Tony Glazier

Thanks for your replies.

It's happening when the boiler has heated up, i.e. about 5-10 mins after firing up for heating. And it's more of a higher pitched "whitle" than a droning fog horn.

I inherited the newly installed boiler when we bought the renovated house 18 months ago. I have a few concerns about the installation, not least the fact that there was never a pressure relief pipe connected, meaning that if it had blown, it would have taken the lounge ceiling out!!! I got this sorted immediately of course, but it didn't inspire me with confidence about the initial installation to be honest.

Also, from what I've seen, the boiler isn't really big enough for our house? Possibly all done on the cheap.

Sponsored Links
In traditional boilers, this high pitched whistle is called 'singing' and is caused by the gas/air mixture too rich, hence why I suggested having the minimum CO2 checked ;)

In traditional boilers, this high pitched whistle is called 'singing' and is caused by the gas/air mixture too rich, hence why I suggested having the minimum CO2 checked ;)

'Kettleing'. Was the system properly cleansed / powerflushed prior to the install?

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back