Whistling underfloor heating TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently moved into a property with underfloor heating downstairs but unfortunately the TRV on the manifold intermittently whistles whenever it engages.

The manifold is an Emmeti TM3-R, which I've managed to find a full working video of here (about 21 seconds to 1:10);

Whenever the hot water starts to approach 50 and the TRV engages the inner valve to close off some of the flow, it makes a very loud whistle until the temperature drops below 50 again and will do this on and off whenever the heating is on.

For the time being I've just unscrewed the TRV altogether to stop this and set the actual temperature on the combi boiler to 50. This works fine for downstairs for the time being, but naturally has subsequently rendered the upstairs radiators/towel rails pretty redundant, so it would be much appreciated if anyone knew how I could get everything working in harmony!

Sponsored Links
Should be able to adjust the pump settings on that. I'd be inclined to try reducing the pump power to see if it also reduces the noise

Sponsored Links
Don't suppose anyone might have any other potential solutions?

Similar problem here. System fine for 3 years and now a high pitched whistle (not v.loud) that is annoying me.

THere are three loops and whistling only seems to be prompted by two of them.

Emmeti FMU3 and Grundfos UPMP3 Pump.
Boiler is Vaillant EcoTec 830.
Temp on manifold TRV is 45.

Could adjusting the Grunfos Pump setting help? It's simple to do but what the various meanings of the modes are beyond me. I've just checked the setting as it was not on the one advised when first bought (maybe a powercut or something). Anyway, I've now put it back to this setting, see image. And I don't seem to hear anything more atm...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 84

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back