white gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
got a little repair to do on some woodwork to a door frame, needs painting with gloss paint is there anything i can do make drying time less

Sponsored Links
try using a water based gloss. drying times for these are far quicker than oil based.

try using a water based gloss. drying times for these are far quicker than oil based.

Before jumping in and using water based you need to consider that although the drying time is significantly reduced the finish will not be as hard wearing as an oil based gloss.

Also, be aware that you will have to work a bit faster in applying a water based gloss or your will leave brush marks and you may need more coats.

Oil based gloss will last longer.

Oil based gloss will last longer.

not necessarily as white oil based gloss will yellow, and a lot quicker since the voc restrictions that were implemented in 2010. water based paints are the future and have far superior drying times. for door frames they are ideal as as it is easier to eliminate the brush marks on the narrower surfaces. applied correctly water based will give the required protection for indoors.

these paints are the future and we should not disregard them due to not being comfortable with using them. the way forward is to adapt our painting styles to incorporate the new systems.

Sponsored Links
I am certainly not disregarding water based paints. I am simply informing the op of the disadvantages.

Water based paints have still got a long way to go before they can be considered superior than oil based paints.

Oil based gloss does have a slower drying time, even more so since the VOC regulations have reduced the amount of solvents. The application of a water based gloss is more difficult and you do not have as much time to apply it. If your not quick enough and go back over it then it can look messy.

As I say, oil based gloss looks better than a water based equivalent. This will hopefully change in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back