White Knight Gas tumble dryer model BG442/1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, a little advice please on changing the thermostats on my White Knight Gas Tumble dryer BG442/1, i have found that the gas is not switching off and cycling as it should which would leave me to believe that the thermostats possibly need changing, any advice would be appreciated regards David

Sponsored Links
Its 20 years since i touched a white knight gas TD, not sure if anyone on here has any more experience than me. so please bare with me as it has been a long time.
There are multiple bi metal thermal switches on these,. some are temperature control and some are overheat control..
They should all be closed circuit in their cold state going open circuit when they sense their cut out temperature.

The posssible components that would cause this are
Thermostat (Thermal switch) (there is a 60 Deg C, a 110 DegC and a 120 Deg C thermal switch)
HiSpeed control unit (This is an expensive part)

If it were the normal temperature control unit you would expect the appliance to overheat and then the thermal overheat switch would operate shutting the gas off which doesn't seem to be the case unless you noticed and didn't allow it to run long enough to overheat.

Firstly you need to be gas safe registered to work on one of these and you need the specific certification for this appliance which most engineers probably wont have.
These are not very common.
My approach would be to remove the switch place it on a metal plate above a gas burner, monitor the surface temperature of the plate and test for the switch going open circuit when the plate gets warm enough with a multimeter. (These switches are around £20 each)
If it did that then I would suspect the hi speed control unit which is approximately £280

Hope that helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back