white spots on loft rafters?

Sponsored Links
Looks like some sort of mould to me. Not helped by no loft insulation and the roof having the old style non-breathable felt, and not enough ventilation

Ah ok thanks for the info :) I presume adding ventilation and insulation is pretty easy but changing the felt is a big job (removing the roof tiles?)
many thanks

d the roof having the old style non-breathable felt, and not enough ventilation

What, like 80% of the rest of UK's properties?

That could be salts from a past leak now fixed, or it could be common mould or even historic and dead, and non of which may be a problem

The felt does not seem to be original

Sponsored Links
I do not think its anything to worry about, but if left without any insulation the attic is going to sweat in cold conditions and condensation will form, and without adequate ventilation will not be a healthy environment long term.

Sorry to 'hijack' and take this off topic.

In the OP's picture, can anyone advise what the ceiling is made of? Is that lath and plaster?

We have exactly the same in our house and someone warned it could be asbestos (not that I intend to move it or cut it or do anything with it, it's just nice to know)

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back