white wood primed pine door. to late to wood stain it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a new pine door that that we intended to paint white but

even though i have wood primed it white is it to late to paint it with something like sadolin or any other stain.

thanks gav

Sponsored Links
What is the make, name & instructions of the primer you used ?

its

b&q interior and exterior quick dry wood primer and undercoat.

for all bare wood.

ready to paint over in 1-2 hours.

low odour, water based.

doesnt say anything in the instructions about wood stain.

thanks gav

You could apply an Opaque Woodstain.

However, watch out for any possible reactions with using other brands.

Sponsored Links
Once you have you painted it, you cant put a wood stain over it, you would have to strip it back,or use the cheats way, and use 'brushwood'

Further down on the topics page you will see a post 'Lightening up darkwood', this might give you a bit of info.

gavjbrown said:
hi, thanks for your reply.

whats an opaque woodstain?

You CAN stain over Primer.

Though it is not meant to be done.

However, i have done it before with no problems.

Try do a search for opaque woodstain for interior use. Even for internal and externally COMBINED.

However, opaque woodstain does not allow any of the woods grain to be shown.

Third_Eye said:
gavjbrown said:

Try do a search for opaque woodstain for interior use. Even for internal and externally COMBINED.

Well, well, well, blow me down with a feather, I didnt know that :eek:

Can it stain over existing white?

What's the point of opaque brown woodstain that doesn't let any of the wood grain show through? Although probably not the same formula as brown paint, that's what it will look like.

spice said:
Third_Eye said:
gavjbrown said:

Well, well, well, blow me down with a feather, I didnt know that :eek:

Can it stain over existing white?

Well, with Dulux Trade Aquatech Opaque Woodstain they write, "Where the surface has been previously painted, it will be necessary to strip back to bare wood".

Hence why i wrote that it aint meant to be done.

However, i used Dulux Trade Aquatech Opaque Woodstain over Zamix Coverseal. That was 8 years ago and the Woodstain looks as good as it was first done.

Me think the Dulux Trade Aquatech Opaque Woodstain has adhered well to surface of the Zamix Coverseal.

Though, it would be dodgy i believe if above was done directly over an gloss/satin finish. Due to adhesion issues.

As, "gavjbrown" wrote he has only primed the surface at present.

Years ago i remember when i was an apprentice that on a new-build that the doors wrote on them that they could be painted or stained. This was even so, as the doors had an white primer over them.

Also, Dulux, when they brought out Dulux Brushwood they claimed it could be used externally. However, after 1 year it would starts to flake. Grrrrrrr.

I know this cos a painter done his full house with it being facia, eave's & doors etc which resulted in it spliting.

In other words the reason i am telling the story in relation to brushwood is that Dulux can have there Do's & Dont's which do not allows work out. Therefore some Painters have an tendency to do some of there own technique's. Even when Paint Makers do not recomend it.

I am sure there is other Painters have done things against the norm so to speak.

Eddie M said:
What's the point of opaque brown woodstain that doesn't let any of the wood grain show through? Although probably not the same formula as brown paint, that's what it will look like.

I agree with you.

Though his door is primed now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back