Who can fit a boiler for me in the East Cornwall area please

hmm i live in cornwall, had little work come in over the summer. as most around here did. and still rejected people who thought i'd work for minimal wage. so your wrong sorry.
Well you are greedy, those employed are having to take cuts & worry about a job.
As long as you can cover your expensence, I cant see why you wont do it.
I do things for no reward...Im lucky I can afford to

just had a thought ...Am I lucky...no I planned my old age ...saved ..

Sponsored Links
I can afford to not work so I sure as hell wouldn't work for Monkey nuts, or is that peanuts :rolleyes:

I love being retired with all you guys paying for my pension, and I intend to live a long time so I can screw you hard workers for all it's worth. :mrgreen:

Well you are greedy, those employed are having to take cuts & worry about a job.

well i worry about a job everyday. i dont have employers right, i dont get sick pay when im ill, i don't get paid for holidays. i won't get a pension like most moan about. i wont get any housing or tax benefits when no work, and i DONT work for peanuts like some customers think i will do. but i still manage from the customers that appreciate decent work.

Can he afford to pay to cross the Tamar Bridge to work on the other side?

image3large.jpg

Sponsored Links
I do things for no reward

Then you are seriously stupid!

just had a thought ...Am I lucky...no I planned my old age ...saved ..[/quote]

If we did jobs for nothing, how could we save?

I do things for no reward

Then you are seriously stupid!

just had a thought ...Am I lucky...no I planned my old age ...saved ..

If we did jobs for nothing, how could we save?[/quote]

Karma.
Do a good turn and it will be returned 10 fold.
Well maybe.

Well after my initial post I have come back here to try and put things right.

Let me explain - there could be a lesson for all of us here.

As one of you had so rightly pointed out I had been benefiting from a very friendly arrangement with a professional plumber who has become something of a friend of mine. Careful reflection has just made me realise how much he has helped me over the years.

About 10 years ago he installed a combi boiler that we had bought for our house. He did a brilliant job and we were very happy since then.

Since then he has installed a number of boilers for us in properties we've invested in, most of which we bought ourselves. I am in the general jobbing building trade myself and charge my labour at about £17 per hour to customers. I live and work in an area where people don't have a huge amount of cash and I keep very busy by being very fair to people. For example I keep good SH taps from bathroom suites I take out and offer them free of charge to some of my customers when they need them fitted, I just charge for the fitting. I still earn a living but I do try to help people along the way.

With this guy I work with him. He helped me with a shed load of plumbiing in my own house and we work together. I don't have training as a plumber apart from mainly working with him. He taught me how to solder and use end feed as well as ring solder. I value this guy very highly.

I've known this guy for 10 years or more. I've seen him through thick and thin. When I first knew him he was working on his own, he then set up a LTD company that went well for a while. He then hit a snag with a business partner that basically ripped him off, the LTD company folded and he had to work for another firm for a while to get himself back on an even keel, then he set up on his own etc. All this time he has had time for me.

I have never moaned when he tells me how much I owe him for a job. He will tell you the money is always forthcoming. He appreciates the honesty I have. On one occasion I said I would drop some cash off to him for a job he'd done. I was ashamed to say I simply forgot. I got home and remembered and phoned him to apologize. I told him I had simply forgotten to call in on him. I had the cash with me. He appreciated my honesty.

Recently, as some of you had seen from my other thread, I had made a decision to replace a boiler in this house. He was lined up to do the change but fell ill. He put me onto this other guy.

When I got his estimate I was shocked.

However I was now looking at possibly contracting with someone at arms length. Being in the building trade, I am not used to this arrangement. When I work with contractors it tends to be alongside them. For example I will happily work with a plasterer, calling him in when the job is ready so that I just pay for him for a few hours. He gets his money, I get a good job, happy customer and my bill is paid. I made good money on an insurance job a while back thanks to my plasterer. Although I've not used this plumber on a customer's job I would have no problems in doing so.

The estimate from his fellow gas fitter shocked me because I had been protected from the rates that plumbers charge joe public. A few days ago I hadn't realised this, but now I am coming to realise this.

This isn't easy for me, admitting I was wrong, but I guess in life we all have to do this from time to time - and today it is my turn. I have to swallow a load of pride. I have to admit I over reacted.

Although it is a bit of a poor excuse, I haven't had a great time of it recently as well. Straight up - we have had to bereavements in as many months. In December we had one close relative pass away suddenly. The following day another was admitted to hospital with suspected cancer. She passed away 4 weeks later. I went to see her on average every 2 to 3 days. I also helped her change her will and put her affairs in order. We didn't really have a Christmas, but occasionally that happens. She died just under 2 weeks ago and I have had to arrange her funeral and administer her estate. I haven't worked properly for about 6 weeks, not because I have no work but because I have not had the energy or the time for it.

Coupled with this, the boiler issue has cropped up. Talk about timing.

I am not proud to admit that I don't like the person I have become over the last few days. I've been very short with people and been quick to judge. These are attributes I don't favour in people and I have been displaying them of recent.

Today I contacted the plumber who gave me the quote and asked him to call me back so we can discuss what we can do to make the job more straighforward and therefore cheaper. One option I am looking at is a system boiler install that will cut down on the work.

I also left a text for my friend who has been very good to me over the years and apologised for any sign of ungratefulness I may have displayed. He was after all trying to help. I very much hope he is better. As far as I am aware he had a bad bout of flu or similar. There is a possibility that he may be able to help me, but that is not the reason I wanted to apologise to him. I wanted to do that because he is a very genuine friend who deserves it and is entitled to it.

So where does this leave me?

I have a property without a working boiler. This needs to be sorted and is going to cost money. This has been in very short supply of late because I haven't earned it of late. Also I have been spending a small fortune on travelling. My relative spent her last weeks in hospital then a hospice 50 miles away. I have spent a fortune in petrol going to see her.

Nevertheless, the money needs to be spent.

Hence I am looking for a sensible solution.

Just as a reminder, the boiler that has failed is part of a basic boiler with a remote pump and control system. I was thinking of converting to a boiler but I understand that there is the possibility of changing to a system boiler that would pressurise the heating system and the primary circuit but leave the hot water system at the same pressure. That would suit me fine if that is the best way forward.

Now I have had a harsh introduction to the real world, I am now looking for ideas and estimates to sort this out.

I don't expect you guys to race to me to take this up, but hopefully you'll understand what has been making my mind tick.

I have a great deal of respect for your trade - I wouldn't want to give any other impression.

east cornwall were? st austall or we talking higher up? i don't mind travelling, i don't mind giving a sensible quote either.in as i work for a few builders on a day rate and they do most of the donkey work i just do the essential fitting.

Thanks Holty

I am in Gunnislake. Is that too far for you?

I'll PM you my phone number if I can.

I really do appreciate your efforts to see if you can help.

For example I will happily work with a plasterer, calling him in when the job is ready so that I just pay for him for a few hours.

How many good plasterers can drop everything and call around for a couple of hours?

With respect, and with condolences for your bereavements, you are a typical proffesional Landlord. You expect the trades to bend over to help maximise your gains:

. I made good money on an insurance job a while back thanks to my plasterer.

Are you the Cornish Crofter that used to visit the Screwfix Forum a few years back?

For example I will happily work with a plasterer, calling him in when the job is ready so that I just pay for him for a few hours.

How many good plasterers can drop everything and call around for a couple of hours?

With respect, and with condolences for your bereavements, you are a typical proffesional Landlord. You expect the trades to bend over to help maximise your gains:

. I made good money on an insurance job a while back thanks to my plasterer.

Are you the Cornish Crofter that used to visit the Screwfix Forum a few years back?

Yes I am that Cornish Crofter.

Thank you for your condolances

I can understand how you feel about landlords. Fair point.

In the case of the plasterer concerned, he was quite happy with half a days work otherwise he would never have taken it. It fitted in with his schedule that day. I can hardly be blamed for using him for half a day when he was quite happy to do it. I don't see a problem in that. If he wanted to charge me for a whole day I would have used him for the whole day or looked elsewhere.

I myself get used for half days here , the odd couple of hours there. And sometimes weeks on the trot by some clients. It comes with the territory. If I or any of the guys I have work for me don't like it, then we don't need to take up that job.

I do most of my own work where I can. Sometimes I bring other trades in. I have to with the gas and sometimes choose to with other jobs. If it suits both parties to bring in a guy for half a day or a few hours then why not?

I would agree with your comment about me being a typical landlord though. I do want my money to go as far as possible - who doesn't? But I need a job done and am prepared to pay for it. I've always been prepared to pay the going rate, I just didn't know what that was up until now.

If I gave the impression that I expect the trades to bend over to maximise my gains - well then I'm sorry. When I need a job done it's good to know I've got people I can rely on and we can usually agree when and how it's going to be done. But I also do realise that sometimes I too have to be flexible and work with other people etc. For example I can quite easily drain the system and flush the rads out in preparation for the job when I know when it's going to be done.

It's very easy for us all to sit apart and comment on how we appear to interact with one another. Clearly first impressions count and no doubt I will continue to pay the price for that as I have done before my last long post.

All sorted now thanks to Holty

Also I did get a couple of responses from other members with the offer of help. I am very grateful for that, especially as my naive reaction to quotes I was getting seems to have understandably got people's backs up.

Indeed when I compared the day rate that Holty charged me it was around the same as what my previous guy would have charged. The last time that he fitted a boiler, it was a straight swap and he did it in a day. He charged me pretty much what I paid on a day rate with Holty.

As I explained to him, when I added up what I spent with him and on the bits that were fitted, it was pretty close to the lowest quote I got with a cheap ferolli combi and no Magnaclean fitted.

Holty organised a very well priced Glow Worm Flexicom 18 SX plus flue, which I paid for and he collected from his local merchant, plus the magnaclean, trvs, and a shed load of copper pipe as I was running low.

In all with his day rate it cost me some £1850 including the copper pipe, of which we used about 3 lengths of 22 and a length of 15. So really the cost lies at around £1750 plus a bit of hard work and running around, as I still have the rest of the copper.

I'm happy with that, especially as my tenant told me that her brother's partner spent the same on getting a 2nd hand boiler installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back