Who can view house-plans ?

Reaction score
Country
France
Just a question to satisfy my curiosity.

Here in France I can go to the town-hall and ask to view any plan I like to see the planned lay-out of anybody's house. The first time I did this I was very surprised because I imagined there would be privacy restraints etc.

What is the situation in the U.K. ?

Sponsored Links
AFAIK If there is a planing application we can generally see the plans online.

Aye, if its a recent application they will be online, otherwise they'll be in the depths of the council archives (at least that's what they'd say) and it's a pain in the rear end to try and get access. But you do have the right to view them.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming it's the same all over France, Mountainman, but in Brittany all building work, requiring an application or declaration, has to have a notice displayed on the outside, giving appropriate information, including the reference number of the application/declaration.
I understand that this is so any interested parties can check that the work is progressing in accordance with the application/declaration.

For others info: a declaration is when an application/inspection is not neccesary.
I suppose a similar equivalent is PD. Although major restoration/repairs need a declaration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back