Remove planning information from a councils website

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

We got planning permission in the summer to build a new house, it was a long process (2.5 years) but we got there in the end!

My question is do I have any right to ask my local council to remove our house drawings i.e. internal floor plans from the Internet? Whilst all the detail was needed at the time i'm not happy with some of it on the Internet now - from a security and privacy point of view.

Wishing everyone a good Christmas.

Jonathan

Sponsored Links
I don't know.

The ICO doesn't consider this information to be 'personal', so I think it would be down to the policy of the individual LPA. It seems reasonable to retain this information until the building is built (or the permission has lapsed), such that an interested party could satisfy themselves that the development had been built in line with the proposals. That said, I suppose it could be argued that the only information that the LPA could justifiably retain online is that which was actually relied upon in order to validate the application and subsequently make the determination. If plans showing the internal configuration were not required for this purpose (validation requirements are really quite tight), then I can't see the justification in retaining them.

We are occasionally asked to sign privacy statements/NDAs of one kind or another, promising not retain or release any information in relation to developments without express permission (sometimes with hysterical consequences on site). These documents are a bit of a nonsense when you consider that the Planning drawings/D&A statements, etc. are made public. Comments on applications are also public, even those (especially offensive ones) prefaced with statements like 'Please do not publish this!'

Last edited:
Buy a tin hat in the January sales.

What are the security and privacy implications, BTW?

Sponsored Links
Don't think you'll get anywhere with this. The planning register is classed as a 'permanent' record which, in practice, means it must be kept for 100 years. And even after 100 years - if you're still around and still worried about it - it must then be passed to the archivist who will decide which records to keep and which to destroy. Local authorities also have a statutory duty to publish the register and also to make it available online under the e.governance plan.

One security risk identified is that if you're ex-directory and what not - you don't want your information published. So if you've got a bitter ex (or what have you) after you, they'll now know where you live as if they search for you, your name will come up with the planning records as a search result and what comes with that information is also your address and a bunny boiler on your door.

you can ask your architect to submit the plans in his name.

One security risk identified is that if you're ex-directory and what not - you don't want your information published. So if you've got a bitter ex (or what have you) after you, they'll now know where you live as if they search for you, your name will come up with the planning records as a search result and what comes with that information is also your address and a bunny boiler on your door.
If you are using your own name and living in a house in Town it would take 3.7 seconds to find you on 192 anyway.

An ex is not going to bother to find you from planning records. They will just find you from much easier ways if they are that way inclined.

Are names even indexed with applications? I did not think they were.

I'm ex-dir and on the unpublished electoral roll.

192 can't see me.

but not, as I say, on 192.

AFAIK, to look on the printed list at the library, you still have to search house by house, street by street, town by town.

If you already knew where I lived, you wouldn't be looking.

My question is do I have any right to ask my local council to remove our house drawings i.e. internal floor plans from the Internet? Whilst all the detail was needed at the time i'm not happy with some of it on the Internet now - from a security and privacy point of view.

Most authorities have provisions for parts of the plans to be redacted from the public version for security reasons such as bank vaults etc. This doesn't usually apply to private residences and would have to be requested before applying.

A first/primary school a few hundred yards from me had a planning notice outside, as we have problems with parking due to the "school mums" at kicking out time I thought I would have a look as to what they were up to. Looked on the local planning site & was shocked to find a full set of the school plans giving classroom details, access etc. I e-mailled the head teacher & the planning department about the security risk but they didn't seem bothered! As for the planning application it was only for a canopy so I didn't complain but I am still shocked about the lack of care/thought about children's safety!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back