1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Planning Permission granted- now what?

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Naomiz, 23 Feb 2021.

1. Naomiz

Naomiz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have recently got planning permission for multi side extension. I went for pre-app advice due to restraints on the property (back land development) and the council where actually very helpful and with some changes suggested I go for full planning permission using the drawings that I created.

What are my next steps and associated costs? Do I need building regulation and structural drawings? When I submit building regulation drawings to the council are there more fees e.g inspections if we go for full plans application or should these be included in the fees?
    Presuming whatever detailed drawings we get done will then be sufficient to go to builders for full quotes?
    Many thanks.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Get the structural drawings done and submit to BC, the Council website will have a list of fees, including inspection.

Architects/designers drawings vary widely in detail, builders prefer clarity and detail, as they will read direct from the plans.

Blup

4. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Do you know how to design, draw, detail and specify construction drawings?

If not, the next stage is find someone who does.

5. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Planning and building control are separate.
    You will have to pay a BC fee and a completion certificate fee once they pass the completed job.
    Get a local architect to draw the bc plans, the builders will be grateful and you'll be able to spot if all "layers" of the job are followed.

6. DevilDamo

DevilDamo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What is one of those?

7. Sponsored Links
  8. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When the job is completed to BCO satisfaction, you pay a fee to have an electronic certificate (or printed for some councils) which confirms that the project is compliant to current building regulations (AS FAR AS POSSIBLY INSPECTABLE).
    Big disclaimer in there.
    In other words you pay for an email something between £60 and £100.
    Some councils include this fee in the initial BC application fee.

9. frutbunn

frutbunn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My old boss (now retired) used to charge for all comp cert, this was dropped the following Monday after he retired. As far as I was aware he was the only one insisting on a fee.
    As far as domestic properties are concerned there is a legal requirement to issue these but only if certain criteria is satisfied: only for full plans app, only if requested at the time the app is submitted and only if the authority are notified 5 days prior to completion or occupation. Providing you satisfy this criteria I can't see how you can legally charge, in other circumstances, maybe they can as they are under no such obligation, though most will issue one without a fee regardless of this criteria.

10. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Try saying that to the west London councils

11. frutbunn

frutbunn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you submit a full plans app them make sure you tick the box (if there is one) or attach a letter requesting one when you submit, they will then be legally required to issue it.