Who do I call to fix my condensation problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am new to oxford and also new to home ownership. I need to find some good local tradesmen to help with my house's problems, but do not know anyone to ask for recommendations, and furthermore, don't know enough about diy and houses to know what sort of expert I need!
my house has terrible condensation - mould everywhere, water dripping down external walls when its bad.
I have a number of ideas about what might help: replacing the extractor fan in the bathroom, installing an extractor in the kitchen, fitting some air bricks, ventilating the loft, fitting air bricks into the sealed-up chimney breasts, installing a 'lofty' ventilation system...and so on.
The problem is all of these would be expensive and i have no idea which is most likely to help.

the point is, who on earth can come and advise me? Should I be looking for a damp expert, or someone who installs insulation, or just a regular builder or what?
I want to avoid calling the sort of person who is going to come over and tell me its their own special trade i need, otherwise i'd call envirovent or something.

I need to address this before it gets cold, and i just dont know where to start, please help!

Sponsored Links
Don't pay anyone to diagnose it.

Just pay tradesman to do any work you can't do.

You already have the basics, just read up a bit more, far to many cowboys out there that will recomend duff to sell you stuff.

More ventillation = good.

More insulation = warmer wall surfaces = lower amount of ventillation needed to prevent condensation. Do you have a cavity, can it be or is it insulated - insulated plasterboard can be used if you have solid walls.

Lofty ventillation systems work very well, but are kind of a nuclear option (permantly having cold air blown into your house in winter).

The loft should already be ventilated, and will not generally have much to do with condensation happening in the living area.

step1: Open the windows. Cost: Nil

step2: Use the bathroom extractor, during and after every bath and shower, until the room is dry. Cost: 15p per 50 hours dropping to 15p per 100 hours for more modern (more efficient) extractors

step 3: Buy an outdoor washing line, if you are in the habit of draping wet clothes around your home. Cost: £2.50

step 4: Read //www.diynot.com/wiki/Building:Condensation-in-Houses Cost: Nil

After doing those things, if you still have a problem, report back as you may have a water leak. Look at the gutters and under the floor, in the loft, behind kitchen cabinets, and observe if the bubble in your water meter ever stops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back