Who do I sack heating guy/builder?

Ok, great, thanks to all for input, understand about tank needs to be higher, but why is it filling when bleeding rads (only top ones?) what`s sealed system mean.

because when you are opening the bleed screw instead off letting air out (air expelled due to higher water coming in to rad and pushing air out)you are in fact letting air in releasing the vacuum that is preventing the water which now wants to spill into the tank due to the fact that the "highest" water is in the loft rads.
the system you have called "open vented" its open to the atmosphere a "sealed" system is sealed to the atmosphere and pressurized and has added safety components
"hope I've explained that ok

Sponsored Links
dont take this as a dig but..........

why did you not rmove old boiler,powerflush system (if needed)
fit a new a rated boiler and you would not have had to worry about tanks in loft,head heights etc etc

for your builder not to suggest this means he is a moron

Can`t afford new boiler as well as conversion, was not advised about any problems, just asked if it was possible to add a few more rads, told no probs, now this. I think I understand about tank being higher, but I`m not trying to say anyone`s wrong here, but on bleeding the top radiators air definitely seems to being expelled you can hear it and feel it. Doesn`t appear to be being sucked in, but tank is filling up. Strange.

Can`t afford new boiler as well as conversion, was not advised about any problems, just asked if it was possible to add a few more rads, told no probs, now this. I think I understand about tank being higher, but I`m not trying to say anyone`s wrong here, but on bleeding the top radiators air definitely seems to being expelled you can hear it and feel it. Doesn`t appear to be being sucked in, but tank is filling up. Strange.

It's irrelevant anyway, the tank has to be higher than the top of the highest rad, end of. That's physics, Jim.

Sponsored Links
simple get them both back like you have been told, if you still have no joy, get your own heating engineer in to write a report ( expect to pay for this) then contact trading standards :D

what size of fuse goes in that tank anyway, sparkyboy!

Generally we tend to fit 10A, but there's debate amongst plumbers - apparently some fit 5A for CH F+E tanks and 13A for CW storage. I've even seen some DIY botches where the householder has tried to run their F+E tank off the lighting circuit! :LOL:

(Well, ask a silly question... :p)

what size of fuse goes in that tank anyway, sparkyboy!

Generally we tend to fit 10A, but there's debate amongst plumbers - apparently some fit 5A for CH F+E tanks and 13A for CW storage. I've even seen some DIY botches where the householder has tried to run their F+E tank off the lighting circuit! :LOL:

(Well, ask a silly question... :p)

you sir are an imbecile.

it clearly states in M.I.s that it must be 3 amp max

you have risked the OP and must be banned

ban the witch BAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tank moved couple of inches by builder, then he walled it in. Heating guy fitted rads/ fixed boiler/gas safe registered.
Builder knew rooms were getting radiators.Builder supposed to be plumber also. He lay pipeswork in plastic for heating guy to connect to.
Why is tank filling up?
Can`t afford to fit whole new system at moment. Thanks. I only wanted a couple of extra radiators! :cry:
Hi, sorry I meant .....Convert the *existing system* to sealed.... with an expansion vessel and associated controls. Some boilers can`t be done though , but info available from manufacturers :idea:

In this case it cannot be done (i.e. system converted to sealed system). No need to ask the makers. This boiler predates the Arc- expansion vessels were rocket science then.

It`s not irrelevant to me. :LOL:

assuming your bleed screw is recessed or not sticking out to much get a bit off cling film or small sandwich type plastic bag open the bleed screw hold the plasti over the area and let go if it sticks slowly peel away a corner incase the cling film has overcome the small pressure difference
if it seals up again its above the header tank and sucking if it blows open its below the header tank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back