Who finds the local suppliers better than the major chains?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever I get work done I try to find local suppliers and not major chains when it comes to supplies - I have just found buying from a local merchant so much better in terms of advice and most times they are cheaper - something I would not have thought of.

Sponsored Links
I've not found this on price. They often rip off joe public for all they are worth, not once have I found a local merchant to be cheaper than a major chain. Well a timber merchant maybe, but never plumbing or electrical.

Often the small independent supplier has worked in the trade and has an in-depth knowledge of the trade, the people in the trade and the tools and materials of the trade.

Some of the staff in the big chains have little if any knowledge of the products they are selling.

I've not found this on price. They often rip off joe public for all they are worth, not once have I found a local merchant to be cheaper than a major chain. Well a timber merchant maybe, but never plumbing or electrical.
Timber and hardware items I have cheaper locally. Plumbing & electrical I do tend to go with the big guy as well.

With hardware such as ironmongery, I have found obscure items in local shops, and cheap as well.

Also, things such as disposable brushes can be easily cheapest in small shops.

Sponsored Links
Timber and hardware items I have cheaper locally. Plumbing & electrical I do tend to go with the big guy as well.

With hardware such as ironmongery, I have found obscure items in local shops, and cheap as well.

Also, things such as disposable brushes can be easily cheapest in small shops.

True but the plumbers and electrical are a rip off. I suppose they feel justifed in, as bernard says, you will get knowledge you don't get in a b&q. I've had one plumbers merchant pull the ''restocking fee'' on me once for an item returned same day and unopened. He must have thought I was a real mug, didn't return after that no matter how good the advice.

We always buy local. If you form a rapport with your supplier you can get preferential treatment in terms of supply and delivery. Worth a lot more in time saved etc than the pennies you could pinch from larger outlets.

I don't do a lot of DIY relating to Plumbing and Electrical, but when I do, there are two local shops that are way cheaper than the Shed's. And the banter is fun as well

I've often found CEF to be a fount of knowledge and they always sell to me at a very reasonable price.

Can I stop lying now?;)

Oh, you had me wondering there.

£9.70 for a J804. Actually £97.00 for box of 10.

Got them down to £37.00 as it was Saturday afternoon.

Always buy from my local family run plumbing,heating,diy,electric, just about everything.pay cash and get discount.

Leave the sheds for emergency shopping only,internet shops have let me down in the past but Ok if you want wrong,fake,damaged,possibly hot items.

The chains aren't always cheaper. For example, a quick look along the plumbing aisle in Wickes is always good for a laugh. Some of the prices of fittings, etc are very steep.

Sponsored Links
Back